wall covering

• 29 Replies

KatG

• Email
wall covering
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »
I'm planning to do a bit of guerilla gardening. I want to cover some ugly walling so I'm looking for a ground cover/trailing plant. It will have to survive without water, and ideally it should be evergreen and grow quickly- rampant would be good. Ivy would be great but is slow and the site is very exposed with next to no shade.  Passiflora might do the trick. Any suggestions?
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: wall covering
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
Here are a few suggestions: Humulus species, Ficus pumila, Rosa banksiae,Wisteria,Vitis coignetiae,Parthenoissus, Hedera canariensis, Ipomoea spp,Jasminum officinale,J. azoricum.  Some of these will need support.  You could also grow kiwis and gapevines.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:08:42 AM »
 :D Hi David; are 'gapevines' jaw-droppingly good?
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »
Can you get the Banana Passion vine where you are? It is evergreen and very tough, pretty bright pink and lilac flowers, edible orange skinned fruits and NO virus diseases.  tn

John J

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 04:45:58 AM »
Katerina, you mention ground cover/trailing plants, are you looking for one to grow up from the base of the wall or one to hang down from the top of the wall?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:45:51 AM »
Trevor grapevines are jaw-droppingly good covered with Syrah or if you prefer Shiraz grapes.  i agree not spectacular but another choice.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

KatG

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, some of which are useful, but the word Guerilla was a clue to the fact that the wall/land is not mine and therefore I don't want anything showy or temperamental. It will be planted at the top of the wall and trail down. I'm inclined to think casting seed in Autumn will be the best solution.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:59:08 AM »
Prostrate Rosemary looks stunning when hanging over a wall but would take quite a time to cover. It seems to take a year or so to get going but once on the move grows more quickly in my experience.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 07:02:39 AM »
Capparis grows downhill if you can get it going.
MGS member.

John J

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
I find Chrysanthemoides incana to be fast growing and tough. The photo shows it growing down a 2 metre high wall. The soil at the top hardly warrants the name, it's rubbish but the plant doesn't care, and it gets little or no water during the summer. Asteriscus (sorry Pallenis maritima) behaves in a similar fashion. After all it grows naturally on rock faces.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Helen B.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »
You might try Bauhinia galpinii which grows into a huge clumps 12' across. It has lovely salmon flowers, trails nicely and doesn't need to be watered once established. I don't think it would attract too much attention. There is also a climbing bauhinia but it might need to be watered more, and I find it rather shapeless. Plumbago looks great down a bank but is probably too showy for your site. Good luck with the guerrilla gardening!
I garden in pots on a balcony in Austin, Texas. I'm very fond of bulbs, esp. crinums which can take the Texas rains. I also grow flowering vines.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
Can I add another wall-covering project? Imagine a narrow balcony with just enough room for a plastic trough, facing east but shaded by huge pine trees. On the wall 1.5 metres high is a mess of ugly water and sewage pipes from the flat above. Any ideas for a self-clinging climber which can be grown in a trough and cover up the eye-sore?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Trevor Australis

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »
How deep can the trough be? That will be the critical factor I think. Do you know the climbing alstroemeria Bomarea caldasii? It is evergreen and climbs but would need something to twine up and along. You'd need to encourage it to go where you want it to go to ensure even coverage. The flowers are very attractive. The plant has succulent tuberous roots like alstroemerias do.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »
Or Bomarea salsilla from Chile, which is perhaps more "mediterranean" in its seasonality? Not evergreen though!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
Ficus pumila would do the job. You could try a selection of small leaved ivies of various colours and leaf shapes.  They are cheap and easily replaceable if there is a failure.
MGS member.