Plant of the Day

• 489 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Plant of the Evening - Pelargonium triste
« Reply #150 on: October 06, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
Not much to look at during the day, this plant calls attention to itself at dusk and its sweet scent becomes quite pervasive.
It is one of the tuberous-rooted pelargoniums from South Africa,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Jamus

Re: Plant of the Day
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »

This is really beautiful Fermi. What does it smell like?
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2015, 12:33:15 PM »
Hi Jamus,
it has a rich, sweet scent - a bit like a gardenia
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Crithmum maritimum
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2015, 09:43:28 AM »
Grows well in our garden with some water during the summer. Is a popular host plant for the Swallowtail butterfly caterpillars that decimate it every year but it recovers each time.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Bougainvillea
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
This particular specimen is a mass of colour for most of the summer, and with no supplementary water.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day- Bulbine frutescens
« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2015, 11:43:49 PM »
Bulbine frutescens has been in flower on and off over the summer but is now making a new show for autumn.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:53:45 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day - seed heads of an interesting Ipomoea
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:20 AM »
Today is a miserable day here in Rome so I thought the seed heads of an Ipomea might be suitable for an autumn posting. The Ipomea flower is bright pink but I have no idea which it is. I grow it from seed each year so it is either a species or a fertile hybrid. The rock is from the "Solfatara" just outside Naples. It is an old volcanic crater which, although it doesn't erupt any longer, still has boiling mud pools and emits sulphurous steam jets. Hence the name.

http://www.vulcanosolfatara.it/en/

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:55:25 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

JTh

• Email
Re: Plant of the Day - Symphyotrichum (syn. Aster) novi-belgii 'Marie Ballard'
« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2015, 10:25:45 PM »
This is one of my favourites in the autumn here in Greece. I planted one a few years ago, and I have now three nice clumps which are quite a sight when they are flowering. The long, straight stems tend to be floppy, so I think they look better when they get some support. The colour is darker than how it is described most places on the internet, but I believe it was identified by this name a couple of years ago by Oron. This year it looks especially fine, probably as a result of all the rain this autumn.

PA141015 Aster novi-belgii 'Marie Ballard'.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

PA141003.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2015, 02:14:39 AM »
What colour Jorun. So vibrant! I will be on the lookout for this :-)

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Ipomoea tricolor 'Heavenly Blue'
« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2015, 04:38:05 AM »
Fantastic photos, Jorun.
David, my wife has been experimenting with Ipomoeas this year, with some success despite our harsh conditions. We are still getting daytime temps in the 30s with nary a sign of rain in the offing, although the evenings are pleasantly cool. This is Ipomoea tricolor 'Heavenly Blue'.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 07:28:49 AM by Alisdair »

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Thornless Butcher's Broom
« Reply #160 on: October 16, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »
Ruscus hypoglossum is not a spectacular plant but is very useful as a drought-tolerant, evergreen, low hedge.

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Polygala
« Reply #161 on: October 17, 2015, 05:37:13 AM »
A reliable, reasonably drought tolerant shrub that requires little attention other than the odd short back and sides to keep it in shape. When I first heard its name many years ago I thought it came from the Greek meaning 'very good' but when I saw it written down realised it was actually 'much milk'. It seems it came from the fact that it was deemed to enhance lactation in livestock. Whether this was the result of it being fed to them as fodder or was induced by the aesthetically pleasing effect of the flowers I'll leave others to decide! :-\

John J

Re: Plant of the Day - Pearly Gates
« Reply #162 on: October 18, 2015, 06:01:17 AM »
Another Ipomoea tricolor this time a variety called 'Pearly Gates'. Goes quite well with our 'Heavenly Blue'.  :D

David Dickinson

• Email
Plant of the Day - a butterfly's choice
« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2015, 09:25:16 PM »
Or, rather, "Plants of the Day". I thought I'd let this butterfly do the choosing for me. The Whites don't usually settle for long on my plants but this one was either ravenous or sensed that the good times were coming to an end and made the most of the flowers that were available. It was a little edgy while having my camera close and flitted about a bit but the temptation to gorge was too strong and it soon came back.

It chose: Sphaeralcea fendleri, Salvia farinacea and Perovskia atriplicifolia
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:57:17 AM by Alisdair »

John J

« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »
'Heavenly Blue' and 'Pearly Gates' flowering together this morning.
Am now off to Italy (Ischia) for the MGS AGM so back in a week.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:44:20 AM by John J »