Why don't my Eucomis "Tugela jade" flower?

• 3 Replies

Caroline

Why don't my Eucomis "Tugela jade" flower?
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:28:09 AM »
I planted Eucomis "Tugela Jade" two years ago in a bed which I don't water unless absolutely necessary. The soil is clay, leavened with compost and mulch, but reasonably free-draining because it's behind a retaining wall.  Sun most of the day.  The Eucomis have produced lots of healthy leaves each spring, but to date no flowers.  Is it a question of patience on my part, or do I need to water more (given that, as I understand it, these come from a summer-rainfall part of South Africa).  All suggestions welcome! Caroline
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Feix

• Email
Re: Why don't my Eucomis "Tugela jade" flower?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 02:59:52 PM »
These tend to bloom quite regularly here in California. If foliage doesn't look stressed from growing too dry, I'd suggest goosing it with a complete fertilizer. Most Eucomis have been undemanding growers for me, moderately drought tolerant, but needing sufficient sun, water and fertile soil to bloom well.
David Feix Landscape Design
Berkeley, California, USA

Trevor Australis

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:40:30 PM »
If the bulbs are small they won't flower - or, if they don't flowers they could be too small to do so. I agree with David - feed them well.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Caroline

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:15 AM »
Thank you both very much :).  I will give the Eucomis some extra  care and attention this spring/summer and report on the outcome in due course.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline