royscot

• Email
Re: What is this 78? I think!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »
bidwillii (bunya pine)?

John J

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »
No, not that one. Staying with the cryptic clues theme, the broad reference is in relation to a geographical location, although that isn't the place of origin of the plant, merely a pointer to its common name. ;)
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

SusanIbiza

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 06:32:19 PM »
Surely not a Kiwi fruit?
Now gardening in Ibiza, Balearics having moved last year from Queensland, Australia.  Mediterranean gardening is my challenge now, there is such a lot to learn, but it is lots of fun.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
Norfolk Island Pine?

John J

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 05:27:09 AM »
Well done, Joanna. Norfolk Broads in England to give a hint to its common name although Norfolk Island is way down in the Southern Hemisphere.
Our tree is 25 to 30 years old and this is the first time it has produced these cones.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »
Araucaria.
I searched for Norfolk on this Forum and came across a two page discussion about various Araucaria.
Very interesting
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care