Danger in the garden

• 3 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Danger in the garden
« on: January 05, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
The garden is like everywhere else – dangers are lurking for the unwary in all the corners. I remember painfully the time I dug into an old  compost pit and found myself running not fast enough from a swarm of angry wasps which had nested there. The New Year has found me running to the hospital with a cut across the white of my eye, fortunately not serious but definitely x-rated to see in the mirror at the time. So let me remind you/recommend when you’re in the bushes, weeding or pruning – basically with the head bobbing up and down – to wear some sort of glasses. Goggles are horrible, so I went to my optician and bought some cheap, biggish frames with the tester plastic lenses still in place which are light and comfortable to wear; but they don’t protect your eyes from back on the shelf. New Year’s resolution: always wear my glasses in the garden.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Danger in the garden
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »
ow!
wise words, Fleur
hope you recover quickly
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »
I agree with you, Fleur, the garden is a dangerous place. I walked by a plum tree one evening some years ago at night and the tip of a low branch made a large scratch in the cornea. It was so painful that I had to go to the emergency clinic for treatment. In spite of the pain, I was amused by the doctor's first question; he asked me what kind of plum tree it was.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
I must have been eight or nine years old. It was summer. I was playing in the garden at home, and I think I lost a ball of some sort in a well-stocked herbaceous border. In bending down looking for the ball, I failed to notice a narrow cane that was one of several there to support the plants. It was painted green so it blended in(!) I was so lucky that it missed my eye and merely pierced my cheek half an inch below.
I have never forgotten that, and to this day I put caps of one sort or another over the ends of canes and other similar things. In recent months it has been lengths of rebar, which I use for marking out hard landscaping. They are fairly obvious now, during the day. But at twilight, and later on in the season when the weeds are high, they are hazards. I put brightly coloured empty shotgun cartridge cases over them. ...Which also helps rid the countryside of a little trash. Or, for better visibility at a distance (when gauging the smoothness of a long curve marking the line of a new path, perhaps), I slide white electrical conduit over their whole length.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England