Re: guess what this is 20
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 09:34:59 PM »
Another

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:40 PM »
Good topic, lastmanonthebus.
Word of warning - the image police (ie. moderators) might be onto you regarding the pixel-dimensions of your 'Salvia madrensis 1 (12).jpg'
See http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=5.0: 760x560px = max. prescribed size.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 07:41:12 PM »
I do like this Salvia. I tried growing it one year and it looked splendid, making a huge plant with several flower spikes ready to flower and just showing colour it was killed by the first frost. A few years later I saw it in this planting at the entrance to one of the parks in Oxford around the 5th of November. Obviously there had not been a frost.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Re: guess what this is 20: SOLVED
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »
Hi Mike
Not quite sure why the police will be after me as all my images were less than 250kbs.  They reject even 251.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
Brian, it is not the file sizer (kbs) that is problem, but the image size, the one whith 1333x2000 pixels is much bigger than  recommended: ' For landscape-shape pictures, keep the width down to an absolute maximum of 760 pixels. For portrait-shape pictures, height no more than 560 pixels at the very most.' When you post too big photos, they will not be displayed properly.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
Hi Jorun
When I tried to send a photograph of more than 250Kbs it was rejected. The police never chased me for the "Big" one and it is on the forum.  The "display" looks OK to me, even when enlarged. Maybe it is the "good quality" camera doing its job?

JTh

• Email
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
The file size was OK (just above 200 kb), but the image size not. When it is as large as those you sent, especially the second last one (of the stems), then it is much larger than most screens and you only see parts of it, and the image looks blurred because of the small file size (<250 kb). Your photos will look much better if you resize to the recommended image size.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 09:41:26 PM »
lastmanonthebus, sorry to be late replying (been offline, laptop crash); I think the other folks have covered it (thanks)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England