Guess what this is 16: NOW SOLVED

• 32 Replies

John

Re: Guess what this is 16
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »
No they don't.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 12:41:07 PM »
I wonder what you mean by closely related, if they are not even within the same order as Tropaeolum.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »
Well they are not under the Brassicales but if I tell you what they are it defeats the purpose of the quiz! So carry on guessing!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 01:01:46 AM »
A family closely related to Tropaeolums.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
I still have no idea, if it is not Tropaeolum sp. but closely related, there are only two other genera within the family Tropaeolaceae, they are Magallana and Tropaeastrum, both of them are unknown to me.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
Sorry Jorun but I meant a closely related family to Tropaeolaceae. Not actually Tropaeolaceae.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
Baby yams (Dioscorea sp.)?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
I think Alisdair that they are monocots? So nope.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
Yes yams are monocots, so I'd better stick to your near-relation hint: one of the tuberous euphorbias?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
No, sorry!
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
Geranium tuberosum?
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »
Almost well done but the species is wrong (though I would have to say that's being very picky) Yes it's a Geranium but there is also a cultivar involved though I won't ask you to come up with that!
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Geranium pusillum (syn. malvifolium) Sweetheart? Or am I getting colder again....
Alisdair Aird

John

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
Colder but in the right area. Of course I can see others pointing out synonyms again. Though I'm sure I have the right species!
John

John

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »
As you are virtually there and may have a synonym here's a picture of the flowers.
John