Guess what this is 14 SOLVED AT LAST

• 21 Replies

John

Guess what this is 14 SOLVED AT LAST
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:03 AM »
Perhaps rather easy but we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:25:48 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
Re: Guess what this is 14
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 09:19:29 PM »
Chrysanthemum (wild guess, just to get started)?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:19:24 PM »
No sorry wrong.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »
The small things surrounding the yellow blob almost look like small fritillaria bulbs you sometimes find when you dig after the flowering is over.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
Also wrong!
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »
Is it some kind of seed?

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
The inside of a seed pod...
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:52:42 PM »
No to both.
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
Hmmm, I wonder how strict you are being in saying 'no'...
Young seedhead of a Taraxacum sp., eg. dandelion?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
Very strict and no to Taraxacum.
John

John

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 10:35:01 PM »
I ought to say that I was being quite technical with Joruns last posting on this!
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
So not a seed, but a fruit?

John

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »
I suppose technically an infructescence!
John

John

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »
Though I could be wrong!
John

John

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 11:18:43 PM »
All so quiet recently and now many of you are off to the AGM but hopefully having a good time.
John