Market Stall plant IDd by Oron as Anisodontea capensis 'El Rayo'

• 5 Replies

Daisy

Market Stall plant IDd by Oron as Anisodontea capensis 'El Rayo'
« on: February 06, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
I found this shrub in the local market last autumn. It is still in it's pot and has flowered all winter.
It looks to me like an Anisodontia, but not one I know.
Does anyone know it?
If you do, please tell me if it will flower in summer as well.
Thanks. Daisy :)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:04:14 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
Re: Market Stall plant
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
Hi there, lucky you ! I think this is Sphaeralcea, probably ! Not sure which one but there is one called coccinea, I have a red one and there is a more peachy coloured one as well.  It is a Malvaceae and the plant family is the source of negrita extract used for hair conditioners in commerce (according to my mabberley's plant book anyway). You should be able to propagate it from cuttings if you want some more. Have fun, Rosie

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
Thanks Rosie, You have started me off on a quest now! ;D
I have been looking at all the various  Sphaeralcea on the internet now.
There are some very desirable ones amongst them.
The only one I already knew is Sphaeralcea ambigua, which is used as a bedding plant in the U.K.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sphaeralcea+ambigua

It could be a Sphaeralcea but I have also found Anisodontea hypomandarum which is also a good contender.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=anisodontea+hypomandarum

It seems to be quite variable in colour, but looks very much like it.
Daisy :)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:51:44 PM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
Daisy, I am pretty sure this is not Sphaeralcea, I saw many of these in the States last  summer (southern Utah, Arizona and N. Mexico), and they did not loook like your plant, Anisodontea spp. sounds more likely. I am not quite sure exactly which species of Sphaeralcea I have in the attached photo, there are around 60 species of globemallows in that region, and they are said to be very easy to recognize as a group, but very difficult to identify as a species, it could be S. ambigua, S. coulteri or S. coccinea.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »
It is a cultivar of Anisodontea capensis named 'El Rayo'
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
Thank-you Ori.
There is another one on the next page needs identification ;D ;D ;D
Daisy :)