Rock plant ID'd by Alice as Ricotia cretica

• 5 Replies

Daisy

Rock plant ID'd by Alice as Ricotia cretica
« on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:26 PM »
This little plant is in flower now near my village.
It grows on a rocky cliff, both in the rocks and in the scree at the base of the cliff.
Unfortunately, my camera has changed it's colour.
It is a lilac pink, not blue.
Does anybody know what it is?
Thanks Daisy :)

I have changed the colour on this photo, to make it look more like it is.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:32:28 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alice

Re: Rock plant
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Daisy, it looks a bit like Ricotia cretica or one of the Malcolmias. I am not sure the leaves are right. Are they feathery or do those belong to another plant?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »
I thought it looked like M. graeca or M. flexuosa, but it is difficult  to see the leaves properly.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Daisy

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 08:58:24 AM »
I have managed to get a leaf photo.

Hope this helps.
The flowers are cruciform, but are definitely pinker than my camera shows.

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alice

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
It definitely looks like a Ricotia to me, Daisy. Which one though? It is a small genus, most species being natives of the Eastern Med, so I am sure Oron or Miriam would be able to say. Otherwise a description of the pod might help.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:32:33 PM by Alice »
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:14:08 PM »
Alice,
 i would go with your first suggestion: Ricotia cretica, the leaves are a good indication.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.