Succulent ID'd by Miriam as Graptopetalum paraguayense

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Succulent ID'd by Miriam as Graptopetalum paraguayense
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:56:22 AM »
This one is from a cutting of a larger plant. The parent plant was about 18 inches tall. My cutting is about 6 inches tall. Bare stem, parent had branching stem. Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:43:13 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Miriam

Re: Succulent for ID please No 2
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
Graptopetalum paraguayense.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:43:29 AM by Alisdair »
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Trevor Australis

Re: Succulent for ID please No 2
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:15:30 AM »
I agree Miriam.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Succulent ID'd by Miriam as Graptopetalum paraguayense
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
Hi Miriam and Trevor,

Thanks for your replies. I have looked up Graptopetallum paraguayense. I have the white flowering Graptopetalum parauayense on my balcony which was to be one of my future postings asking for ID help. So that is now identified. Thanks :-)

Comparing that with the photo I posted there are some differences. Thanks for letting me know trevor (reply to "succulent for ID please No 3") that there are lots of hybrids which include Graptopetallum paraguayense.

The Graptopetallum paraguayense that I have is over 10 years old. The flowers are white with red and the stems average 9 - 10 cm in height with a leaf length averaging 2 - 3 cm. The diameter of the whorl of leaves averages 6 - 7 cm

The plant that I posted a photo of does have similar shaped leaves and flowers. But the flowers are straw yellow, and despite being only a couple of years old the stems average 21 cm in height with a leaf length averaging 9 cm. The diameter of the whorl of leaves averages 13 cm

I looked up Graptopetalum with yellow flowers which led me to Graptosedum 'Francesco Baldi'. I think I have that too but the flowers are a more intense yellow and the leaves are a different shape to the plant I posted. There are also lots of web pages with Graptopetalum with pale yellow flowers but no species or hybrid name. Perhaps we have gone as far as we can go?

Many thanks to you both again for taking the time to help :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.