Planting a school garden

• 4 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Planting a school garden
« on: January 20, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »
A Greek MGS member has asked for advice on planting a school garden. She says:"What plants would you advise for a garden in Patras which gets only 2.5 hours of direct sunshine between 10  and 12.30, - preferably herbs and only Mediterranean." She doesn't give any other information but I can get it from her when I send a summary of first replies. I'll direct her to the Forum but I'll be translating the replies into Greek too.
The MGS is very interested in helping schools with their gardens; the one we saw in Cyprus with JohnJ was an inspiration.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Planting a school garden
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:41:46 PM »
Is this not an opportunity to create a "Young MGS"  This idea has been mooted for sometime............."we need to encourage young gardeners"  or the other comment, "most of the current members in the MGS are retired!

Maybe the Forum could come up with some ideas and propose an outline plan.  I know "DG Communications" has raised this subject  viz  "an MGS for young members perhaps at schools or at horticultural colleges"

Would John like pull this to-gether?  I`m happy to contribute in any way.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »
Fleur, can I suggest you check out the Larnaca school web-site www.votanokipos.com? It has the added advantage of already being in Greek. I'm sure that Stella would be willing to give advice should you wish to contact her. I could ask her if she would mind my passing on her e-mail address.
David, was your suggestion aimed at myself or John F?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
Yes John J addressed to you after your success at the recent AGM.  From little acorns and all that.............
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:05:17 AM »
I would be glad to help in any way I can, however, I think any initiative would need to be sanctioned by the AC and some sort of guidelines issued.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)