Purple-flowered tropical/sub-tropical shrub ID'd by Oron as Barleria cristata

• 2 Replies

KatG

• Email
Can anyone identify this plant? The nursery had no idea what it is called. It's leaves are not dissimilar to Honeysuckle, and it has bright purple flowers, though only one of these at the moment. It seems to want to trail but it was crammed amongst other large plants in the nursery and tied to a bamboo stick so that there is not much leaf on the lower part of the branches, and it has clearly been neglected. I think it's pretty attractive despite the neglect and I imagine if I cut it right back it will send up new shoots from the base.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:34:39 AM by Alisdair »
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »
Katerina
It is Barleria cristata grown in very poor conditions as you also described.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:44:13 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

KatG

• Email
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »
Thanks Oron, now I can plant it. It sounds as though it will be ideal for the spot I had in mind - in the semi-shade of a fig tree. 
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.