Village Owl

• 4 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Village Owl
« on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
As I was looking for something else, I came across these old photos. A huge, long-eared owl which in Greek is called Boufos* (Bupo bupo or Eagle Owl) gave birth to a brood in a tree in the square and the priest (sadly no longer with us) took to feeding them. At night the mother owl would swoop up the valley and perch for a while on a friend's TV aerial before continuing on up the mountain.
*A affectionate name for someone rather large and silly.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Village Owl
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
Strong contender for Most Smile-Worthy Post, Fleur: thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:50 AM »
Wonderful photos Fleur and a lovely story. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:25:49 AM »
Oh so cute!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Wonderful!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.