Seen flowering just outside Rome yesterday...ID'd by Oron as Sesbania punicea

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
The flowers were hanging over a wall so it was difficult to say if it was a true climber or a few stems of a bush but it looked more like a climber. There was a breeze blowing so the slightly out-of-focus pic attached was the best I could do. The seed pods are square in cross section with "four wings".

Any help, as always, gratefully received. :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:23:28 PM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: id please, seen flowering just outside Rome (Italy) yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »
Sesbania punicea
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
Thanks Oron. I feel a bit of a fool now as I had just ordered seeds of this plant and didn't recognise the plant when I saw it in the flesh! Happy I did order it now as the flower colour is very strong even in the bright summer light of Rome. I soaked the seeds I had received from a supplier (Jungle Seeds) as instructed but nicking them in addition and put them into sand/compost mix a couple of days ago. 2 had germinated by the following day and 8 by this morning.

I now have the seeds I collected which may be redundant. If so, I will send them to the MGS seed exchange and hope that Chantal will find good homes for some of them.

Thanks again :-)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 04:52:45 AM by oron peri »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.