Lagerstroemia

• 25 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Lagerstroemia
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
Lagerstroemia thrives in the Languedoc without watering.  Really impressive small trees with oddles of beautiful pink flowers.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »
I'm currently reviewing Ornamental Trees for Mediterranean Climate - the trees of San Diego produced by the San Diego Horticultural Society. It shows a Lagerstroemia indica grown as a mutiple-trunked tree, 8m  high and looking wonderful.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Daisy

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 08:31:46 AM »
I went looking for a Lagerstroemia recently.
There were lots of pinks and purples, all of them beautiful. But I found myself drawn to the white one. It looked so fresh and pretty. It reminded me of spring blossom.
That is the one that came home with me.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »
Daisy, does it have a cultivar name?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 08:06:59 AM »
I have a white Lagerstroemia (no name I'm afraid) but it has a difficult growth habit - it sends up tall branches which are too weak to hold the weight of the flowers and so flop about unless there's a supporting shrub next door. On the other hand the pink version is a just as tall but very sturdy.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:31 AM »
I just had a quick look on the internet and there seems to be quite a few white flowered clones including one with bronze leaves.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Daisy

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
Sorry John. I don't know it's cultivar name.
The garden centre at which I bought it, didn't even know that it was called a Lagerstroemia!!!
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
I can't say I'm surprised!
John

ritamax

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 01:21:58 PM »
Here's one I saw in the botanic garden in Basel: a very large one with flowers only on the top. This is probably how it will look unpruned.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

ritamax

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:53 AM »
Here is Lagerstroemia indica 'Nivea' trained as small trees with nice bark seen on Isola Madre, northern Italy.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:03:34 PM by Alisdair »
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
hmmm - very successful shaping
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England