Araucaria (and relatives)

• 22 Replies

John

Re: Araucaria (and relatives)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 11:21:40 PM »
Here's a nice specimen of Araucaria araucana at Kew earlier this year. Note the relative drought we are increasingly getting in London.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 08:15:50 AM »
Re A. araucana:
At some times of the year I presume those branches, bristling with pointed leaves, must be good at garnering moisture by condensation overnight and from mists. I know some animals (beetles) and plants do that in Chile, but I'm not sure in which parts; presumably as an adaptation it is most likely in areas of low rainfall.
As saplings, the tough and pointed leaves must be a deterrent to browsing animals. But one could wonder why they retain their pointedness when older and/or above browsing height. Could be a reflection of the existence o tree-dwelling/climbing browsers that are now extinct, I guess. Holes in that argument, though.
Just thinking aloud, wondering if the pointed leaves were a particular adaptation or an incidental characteristic.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
There were the giant slothes but the Araucaria had been around a long time by the time they appeared. Presumably they would have evolved with large herbivores. As shown with these trees on "Planet Dinosaur" recently on TV.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 08:32:27 AM »
So I suppose in evolutionary terms you could say "if it aint broke".
John

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 07:25:10 AM »
The story of Araucarias and Wollemia can be found in Survivors: The Animals and Plants that Time has Left Behind, by Richard Fortey. Available on Kindle (sorry John J)
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
You're forgiven, if only for those great photos of Autumn colour!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 11:07:58 AM »
There were the giant slothes but the Araucaria had been around a long time by the time they appeared. Presumably they would have evolved with large herbivores. As shown with these trees on "Planet Dinosaur" recently on TV.
- yes, of course - good thought, John
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
By the way, doesn't Kindle mean 'to set fire to'? Now there's a thought!!!!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)