Olives

• 36 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Re: Olea europaea
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
Oh what a lovely topic. Truly stunning characters, all of them, an extraordinary symbol of resilience and patience!

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about seeing them in the nursery, it is quite shocking, but I am pleased to report that I have 88 mature olive trees in the garden here, most of them only around 100 years old, so babies by comparison, but they are doing just fine and, as far as we know, would have gone to the bonfire if we had not re-homed them.

The largest is this one, which we estimate to be somewhere around 300 years of age:

I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

John J

Olives
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »
Olive picking - Cyprus style!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Olive
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
Good game, good game!
Doing mine in the next few days.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 01:15:34 PM »
I thought it was another guessing game; who and where.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

John J

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
You could always take a flying stab at it, David, no prizes for a correct answer though.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
Not many clues.  Face is well hidden however pink Adidas trainers might be a give away.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »
I saw something that was new to me when I visited Brian in Spain last week, in many of the olive groves the bottom of the trunks were covered with soil, and I was told that there were two explanations for this practice, 1: to make it easier to gather the olives when they were falling down, 2: to prevent the growth of suckers. Have any of you an opinion about the usefulness of this practice?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »
No experience/opinion, Jorun, but a question: was that ground bare because of (a) cultivation (b) herbicides or (c) utter drought?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
I am not sure, but this scraped surface seemed to be the result of some mechanical work, if they used herbicides as well, I can't tell. In addition, it was terribly dry, they had no rain for several months (the rains started when I left).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 07:19:49 PM »
It also looked just like this when I was out there with Brian in May! No weeds, nothing else.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »
I much prefer to see olive groves full of wild flowers, like this one in the Greek Peloponnese, in late spring....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »
I agree, Alisdair

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
In our old olive grove the soil has piled against the trees by default from when they used to plough between them. I don't see any reduction in suckering.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
There are many old traditions (?) associated with olives, for example to keep the centre of the tree open enough to allow birds to fly through.  But why?  No one has an answer. I suspect its the same with hilling-up olives.  Very unlikely that herbicides are used. As Fleur says it will not reduce suckering, if anything it will increase it.  Maybe someone , sometime said that it will reduce water loss or even frost damage.  Probably it is the result of continuous cultivations.  The same can occur in most tree crops. 
MGS member.

John

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
Here's a similar picture to the one Jorun posted near Brian's of some older trees with larger mounds. There is some weed growth which does look like otherwise there is intensive weed control.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.