Baobab

• 7 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Baobab
« on: July 18, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
Does anyone know of baobabs (Adansonia digitata growing close to the Mediterranean? They cannot take even mild frost, but as I have four seedlings sprouting vigorously I am very tempted to try them out in our garden in coastal southern Greece, where we have had no frost in the last few years. Probably crazy - but perhaps not as crazy as trying to keep these potentially huge trees going under glass here in the UK!
On the MGS trip to Israel we saw this magnificent specimen, not yet in leaf, at Kibbutz Ein Gedi, but that's in a very special climate down by the Dead Sea.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Speedy

Re: Baobab
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:26:19 PM »
I tried the Australian  Boab (A.gregorii) about 25yrs ago - cold weather finnished  them off in winter.

Last summer a friend gave me a couple of seedlings , I said I'd give them a go ,
the same fate befell them too.

Not related I know, but Brachychiton rupestre does really well and eventually swells its trunk to an impressive size in a simmilar way to Adansonia spp.

A good cold hardier option for mediterranean climate.
320mm rainfall- winter dominant
high max temp 46.9 degC 
 av mean max temp 23.8degC
Low min temp -5.2 degC 
av mean min temp 9.3 degC
65-70m asl
300km inland
sandy loam over clay with limestone nodules below the surface

Speedy

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
There was a fully grown  Boab (A.gregorii) removed to make way for a road upgrade  from The Kimberly  region (Nthn West. Aust.).
It was transported by truck and transplanted in Kings Park (Perth, W.A) about 4 yrs ago?
there was a  segment featuring it on Gardening Australia (ABC TV) a while back.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2431672.htm

Perth has a pretty much a  frost-free mediteranean climate
high max temp 46.9 degC 
Low min temp -5.2 degC 
65-70m asl
300km inland

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:42:37 PM »
Crikey, that transplanting looks amazing! Thanks for the info, Speedy.
I'll probably do the same if I do try taking one or two of my little seedlings out to Greece - bare-root them then plant them in a very quick-draining spot. But I don't think they'll survive, as although we don't get frost they won't like the fact that the rain comes at the coolest time of year.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Speedy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:41:18 AM »
yes, I agree.
 winter wet seems to be one of the biggest problems with tropical climate and winter dry climate plants in Mediterranean climates.
even high altutude 'frost tolerant tropicals' can suffer with  root problems.
Still worth a try with your baobab though,
 maybe if you have a really well drained spot, it may work.
Perth is frost free, but still cool in winter
and  prodominantly a winter rainfall climate.
I'll be watching for any updates.
high max temp 46.9 degC 
Low min temp -5.2 degC 
65-70m asl
300km inland

John

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »
A few years ago I saw a book about the Baobab and it was an impulse buy. Only a small book but really quite interesting. Something worth mentioning is that it says that they can endure some frost. It mentions that where it grows in NE Namibia frosts are frequent though perhaps not for more than a few nights. Climate wise though likely to be different then the Med I suppose!
Here's the info about the book for those who are interested.
The African Baobab by Rupert Watson
ISBN 9781770074309
published by Struik
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Speedy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:01:12 AM »
I'm a sucker for books like that John, looks good. :)

Alisdair If you wanted to try the Queensland Bottle Tree (Brachychiton rupestre),
 I could send some seed if you like...

they'll definitely grow for you and tolerate quite a bit more cold ...and moisture in winter.
high max temp 46.9 degC 
Low min temp -5.2 degC 
65-70m asl
300km inland

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
Speedy, That's a really kind offer, and I would like to take you up on it. (I can't ever resist the temptation to try something new from seed....) I'll write to you separately with my address.
John, thanks too for the hopeful note about Namibia, but I guess the trees there would be utterly dry at the times they faced frost - I suspect what they wouldn't like in (essentially frost-free) coastal southern Greece is the cold and clammy winter damp.
Alisdair Aird