Sophora secundiflora - Texan Mountain Laurel

• 7 Replies

Sandra

Sophora secundiflora - Texan Mountain Laurel
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
Does anyone know where I can find seed or even a young plant of the Texan Mountain Laurel?
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Sophora secundiflora - Texan Mountain Laurel
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »
Sandra,

Just seen an offer on ebay, but if you dont find it i can find some for you.
Consider that it takes ages from seed to flower, at least 4-6 years, but its worth it!!
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »
Thank you - just ordered some seeds from eBay. I'll post an update in a few years time!
Sandra Panting
I garden in the Southern Peloponnese, Greece and will soon be creating a small garden in Northampton, England.  I'm co-head of the MGS Peloponnese group and a member of the RHS.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:02:43 AM »
Oron, 4 - 6 years isn't ages. It's a mere blink.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
I now realise that this depends upon what age you are but it isn't something that should put you off whatever age you are! I grew a Sophora davidii from seed when I was a student at Kew. It was in a pot for a good few years and then I planted it out in the garden we work in in London. It has just started to grow away in the last couple of years. I sowed it around 30 years ago!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:52:20 PM by John »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »
Here's 2 pictures of the Sophora davidii growing with Aquilegia vulgaris.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »
What an interesting story! (And a lovely plant, well worth the wait....)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 09:38:51 AM »
Not only is it slow it is also vicious with huge thorns which makes collecting the seeds dangerous.
John