Hypericum

• 9 Replies

Hilary

Hypericum
« on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
Seen on Akrokorinthos
In my book it looks like
Hypericum empertrifolium
However, in a list of plants of Akrokorinthos from a study by Patras University only Hypericum triquetrifolium is mentioned.
Does anyone know the difference?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:06:55 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John

Re: Hypericum
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:57:03 PM »
This does look like H. triquetrifolium to me which is an herbaceous species with seasonal growths which have a distinct almost pyramidal growths and runs. H. empetrifolium are shrubs of varying stature depending on the subspecies.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Hilary

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 06:34:33 AM »
OK triquetrifolium it is. Thanks
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Hypericum triquetrifolium
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
I'd go along with that.
It is a common sight in arable fields here in summer; often it is the only plant in the field (perhaps Polygonum equisetiforme as well). As the summer wears on, the plants get darker, from a distance appearing almost burnt.
Lots of info on H. triquetrifolium at http://maltawildplants.com/CLUS/Hypericum_triquetrifolium.php,
incl. some effectiveness against nematodes (ref. Al-Askari, A.A., Stephan, Z.A., Antoon, B.G. & Obaedi, J.F.W. 'Effect of plant extracts on the control of the root-knot nematode Meloidogyne javanica'.  Iraq. J. Agric. Sci. 1990, 21: 1-12) [search the page for 'javanica'].
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:07:38 PM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Hypericum empetrifolium
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
Hypericum empetrifolium makes a good garden plant. With garden soil an a drop of water it grows tall and handsome. Even here with its seed heads it's not at all scruffy. It's really hard to photograph though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:08:20 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
Hypericum empetrifolium is easily recognised when in flower, by its bright flowers in whorls of three cladding its stems.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:08:37 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Bolanthus

• Email
Hypericum balearicum
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
Today I visited the Diomidis botanical garden (of Athens) and I ran into this shrub tagged as Hypericum balearicum. I thought to myself that this species may be an exceptional option for mediterranean gardeners. There were only a few flowers on this 1,5m height x over 2meters shrub, but the same plant should have been absolutely spectacular a few weeks ago!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:09:01 PM by Alisdair »
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:15:48 PM »
I absolutely agree that the wild hypericums make ideal garden plants; the spring flowers are lovely and the seed heads carry on the interest.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:09:25 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »
I couldn't agree more on H. empetrifolium, ...such a beautiful species (it is really common on mt Hymettus). I have some photos... and I'm about to open a new thread :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:09:46 PM by Alisdair »
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 

Bolanthus

• Email
Hypericum empetrifolium
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:44:38 PM »
Yet another outstanding mediterranean Hypericum species  :D
(in the first photo H. empetrifolium is among Cistus creticus and Corydothymus capitatus We can also spot  some anemones on the right)

and a close up
Aris Zografidis