Tecoma stans

• 10 Replies

ritamax

Tecoma stans
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
I saw a very pretty shade tree called Tecoma stans in a Costa Blanca nursery. The gardener told, that it is very easy to grow in this climate. Any experience?
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Alice

Re: Tecoma stans
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
I grew two Tecoma stans plants from seed three years ago. They are doing well but are still quite small plants. However, they are in a part of the garden where nothing much thrives.
I would say that if other members of the Bignoniaceae (Campsis, Tecomaria) do well in your area, they would too. They are supposed to be drought-tolerant and good windbreaks, so yes, I would definitely recommend them.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

ritamax

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
Thanks a lot, Alice! Yes, Campsis and Tecomaria capensis thrive well in this area, also Bignonia climbers.
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »
I bought a Tecoma stans by mistake a few years ago, meaning that I thought it was something else and I thought I didn't like Tecoma because it's too gaudy. Planted in a narrow bed on a south facing wall with weekly irrigation it immediately grew huge and I've grown to love it. An unexpected pleasure is the seed pods. They hang down like spikey fingers and, when fresh, are a bright green - almost as gaudy as the flowers.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

ritamax

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Thank you, Fleur! I saw a Tecoma of 2,5 meters for 70 euros to buy in a nursery. It has a nice crown and could probably soon give some shade.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »
I rather like its Spanish name, Esperanza - for 'hope'.
I think it is a good yellow - not too vivid / pale / piccalilli-coloured.
I have a few but they are slow to get going for me (not helped by proximity to Cupressus sempervirens).
The first one I saw, at Secret Valley golf course near Paphos was, I noted at the time, fragrant. Since then I have failed to notice much/any scent from their flowers...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

ritamax

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »
I didn't know the Spanish name. Esperanza sounds nicer than say Judas' tree. I don't think I have ever seen it in my region, but perhaps I just haven't recognized it. I just read that the nectar and pollen of Tecoma stans is poisonous, whatever that means in practice.

John J

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
I think you'll find that it is honey made from the nectar/pollen of Tecoma stans that is poisonous. How you would recognise it from any other honey is another question altogether!!!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »
...and I think poisonous needs clarification - to whom? humans/bees/...?

The nectar/pollen of silver lime is narcotic to bees, but they still feed on it - and are found dead or dying on the ground beneath the trees. There is some issue over honey from bees which have been feeding on Oleander. It is rather prone to opinion; I don't know the facts. But I have never had a problem eating honey.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 12:22:29 PM »
There seems to be no toxicity to humans or other mammals in Tecoma stans itself (on the contrary, recent studies have suggested that extracts from it can be helpful in the treatment of diabetes). And as Mike suggests there doesn't seem to be any evidence that honey which might include Tecoma material poses any danger.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
Certain web-sites, for example www.mtunzini.co.za/aliens_tecoma.pdf, are quite emphatic in their declaration regarding the toxicity status of honey made from Tecoma stans nectar/pollen. Unfortunately, they don't seem to offer any scientific evidence to back up their claim. How it's possible to ascertain just which plants any particular bee(s) gathered their nectar/pollen from is a question I can't answer and I've never heard of anyone suffering from honey poisoning.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)