La Mortella

• 2 Replies

Daisy

La Mortella
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
I visited La Mortella last month. It is a beautiful, lush and atmospheric place that I was happy to spend the whole day in.
Even though it was mid July, there was so much colour and so much of interest to see.
I also very much appreciated the Tea House. The best pot of tea I have had outside of England!!!
Although, it was a little surreal, sitting and drinking tea whilst looking out over the garden. At times it seemed that I could be in a restaurant somewhere like Trebah or Tresco.
I took loads of photos. Here are a few. Although I recommend La Mortella website for good photos.
http://www.lamortella.org/en/

Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Jill S

Re: La Mortella
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
Gosh!! see what you mean. Beautiful place.
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: La Mortella
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
Thanks for those really evocative pictures!
It is a gorgeous place: we went in October, and it was equally glorious then - I expect it will be at any time of year. It's run, incidentally, by our forum member "Alevin".
The Italian branch of the MGS is arranging a tour to Naples and Ischia this September, which will include La Mortella; they say they'd be happy for members of other MGS branches to join them.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society