Cyclamen

• 310 Replies

jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
    • Email
Re: Cyclamen
« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2012, 10:14:47 AM »
Wow, stunning plants! Really elegant, a lot of them, and your candy stripe one is remarkable. Super looking place, too! Did you swim in that tempting pool?
Thanks very much, Jo.

I didn't take the plunge but Tom and the others did. It may have looked tempting but it was really freezing  :o .

I was sent off to take photos at my own speed   :)

Daisy

« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
The Miracle cyclamen that I planted last year have seedlings coming up around them.
Are they going  to be like the originals, or different?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

John

« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2012, 10:31:43 AM »
Hi, I would guess similar as many of the seed strains are diploids and fully fertile. As you don't have any other types then they should be similar.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

HansA

« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
Here an actual picture of some cyclamen - the leaves always look fantastic.
Visible on the picture are C. graecum album (front right), C. alpinum (small leaves on the left), C. persicum var autumnale (large leaves in the middle, still with a few flowers) and C. rohlfsianum (background). For comparision, the stalk of G. reginae - olgae emerging in the middle of the Cyclamenleaves has a total height of 38cm.
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

John

« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
They all look very happy. I envy you being able to grow them outside and out of pots. I think of the flowers (though stunning and quite unique) as being a bonus and it is the leaves that give the best show.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »
Fantastic green salad Hans ;)
Thanks for showing it.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
How rude. And I think it should be said that you should not attempt to eat them as they are (I believe) toxic to humans!
John

HansA

« Reply #202 on: November 20, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D - thanks John and Oron, I certainly will not eat them - they are just too nice! ;)
landscape architect

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: November 20, 2012, 07:40:54 AM »
Well, in this region: Lebanon, Syria and Palestine the leaves of Cyclamen persicum are edible.
They are stuffed with rise, in the same way they would do with Vine leaves.
As there are no Vine leaves available in winter they are  replaced with either leaves of Salvia hierosolymitana, Cyclamen persicum, Arum dioscoridis and Mangold [Beetroot leaves] which is realativaly new option.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:43:27 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #204 on: November 20, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »
I am surprised though perhaps I shouldn't be as I have eaten some strange and even poisonous plants in Greece. I know that cats must not be allowed to eat Cyclamen, though you may ask why would they, but they are on a list of palnts that are toxic to them along with Lilies. Perhaps cooking is a reason they are edible and not as a salad? I would have also been a bit dubious about Arum leaves but again maybe the cooking? This also moves this inot a different topic but still includes Cyclamen.
John

HansA

« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2012, 09:36:33 PM »
Thanks for the interesting information Oron!
landscape architect

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: the winter-flowering Cyclamen hederifolium
« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
I'm in Greece at the moment, in the southern Peloponnese.
Here is a picture (lousy cell phone snapshot, I came without my camera) of the local low-altitude form of Cyclamen hederifolium which flowers in the winter - flowering at the moment in our garden here. Photo taken two days ago, 6 January:
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Trevor Australis

« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »
 :) Cyclamen hederifolium has begun blooming here. Pink and white but all fairly plain green leaves. The fancy leaved forms will be later. tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Hilary

Cyclamen and Caryatids
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »
We saw these cyclamen in the village of Karyes, Lakonias. They were near the modern copies of the Caryatids which are  now in the Acropolis Museum.  I have also posted a photo of the explanatory notice for your further edification. I am sure someone will translate it.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Trevor Australis

Re: Cyclamen and Caryatids
« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
Cyclamen hederifolium would be my nomination. Did you observe any leaves? If the leaf pattern was indistinct it could be C. hederifolium ssp. confusum which is localised in your area according to Grey-Wilson. My C. hed. and C. africanum are flowering too in South Australia.  :) tn.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.