Disconnected

• 16 Replies

Daisy

Disconnected
« on: September 16, 2015, 06:35:23 AM »
It is very strange, but since I broke my leg at the end of April, I have felt a strong disconnect to my garden. I don't know if this is natures way of protecting one's peace of mind whilst incapable of doing anything.
After a summer of two hospital stays, some complications and being instructed not to do anything, except to lie with my leg up, I am finally finished healing. (I hope).
It has left me overweight, tired, weary and a bit defeated.
I have been reading all of your posts, but have not had the energy to respond to them. Plant of the day has been a solace, as have all of your discussions.
My husband, has been keeping the garden watered, but otherwise, it has not been touched. It looks a bit like Sleeping Beauty's garden, overgrown and almost impenetrable in parts. It is going to take a long time to sort out. At present, I lack the energy and enthusiasm to tackle it. I just hope I get them back.
Has anyone else felt this disconnect to their garden and plants whilst ill?
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Joanna Savage

Re: Disconnected
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 07:00:04 AM »
Hello Daisy, you have been having a tough time, little by little you will be gardening again probably in a completely different style. I wanted to tell you that my partner Richard who has died was a most avid gardener. Nothing was more important than his organically grown veggies. But when he came home from hospital he had no interest in the garden at all. So perhaps you are right that, after illness, all our energies go into recovering. We lose interest in matters beyond our strength.

Pauline

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 07:25:49 AM »
Hello Daisy. You poor thing - what an awful year you've had. I just thought I'd commiserate a bit. I expect your garden is utterly beautiful in "sleeping beauty mode" - speaking for myself I'd be delighted if you could take some photos of it to show us.  :)

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

John J

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »
Daisy, sorry to hear about your troubles and the current mental attitude that has resulted from them. At least the Forum has provided you with a small amount of comfort. May I suggest that you don't think about how long it will take to sort out your garden and concentrate on one small area at a time. Will yourself to start sorting out one particular area and as you see the progress your strength and enthusiasm will I'm sure return. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your inputs once more in the not too distant future.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 07:58:10 AM »
Hi Daisy,
Good to hear that your stays in hospital have been worth it as you have now recovered. As Pauline says it would indeed be good to see some pictures of what nature has been up to while you were temporarily away. Perhaps you could send a few through on the "plant of the day" thread focussing on the idea of those that would have benefitted from a little of your care and those that needed more? I think such info would be useful to all readers of the forum entries in helping us to decide which plants to choose.

Don't overdo it though. We don't want a relapse! I for one have sorely missed photos of your garden this summer :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Daisy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »
Thank-you for your words, Joanna. I think that you are probably right.
 I am sorry you lost Richard, your partner.  It puts my whinging into perspective.

Thank-you for your commiserations Pauline. My garden is messy in Sleeping Beauty mode. I will go out and take a few photos. It is not a pretty sight.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:43:59 AM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »
John J and David. Your posts arrived whilst I was typing mine.
You are right John, it makes sense to start on just one small area and sort that out, rather than flitting madly from place to place and ending up even more disheartened.

David, I will go and take some photos right now, even though the light is wrong. I will post a few and save some for plant of the day.

Daisy

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
The jungle.

IMG_4205 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4256 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4254 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Daisy

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:29:20 AM »
The jungle continued...

IMG_4208 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4210 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4211 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4213 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4214 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4215 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4217 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4219 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4220 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4223 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4224 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4225 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4227 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4252 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4229 - Copy by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

It is going to take a while, sorting out that lot!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 10:12:23 AM »
Hi Daisy,

I had just written a reply when your latest photos came in and on trying to post it a message came up saying something to the effect of "You are not replying to the latest posting - do you want to change yours". It neither sent nor saved what I had written but if you get 2 messages along the lines of what I am now writing it is not me who has gone gaga (I know some people who would swear that happened years ago :))

I was just reflecting on the idea that nature makes you lose interest in expending energy on anything that is not directly connected with getting better. No doubt true. But surely it is also true that at an even deeper level of subconsciousness there is something saying it is important to get better because you will be needed for "x". The "x" could be anything which is important to that individual.

Certainly there are advantages to your current situation. The plants are now overgrown. Or perhaps not. With so much growth to play with your gardener's eye may well choose to reapportion the amount of space dedicated to your favourite plants rather than having to wait for them to grow into an envisaged amount of space. There is also the plus side that, taking things slowly over the forthcoming dormant period of winter, all will be ready for you to do the fine-tuning next spring. As john says, small sections at a time would seem best. But it might be useful to first get around as much of the garden as you can removing seed heads from plants you don't want to spread.

I have never been through an experience such as yours but it will, inevitably, be my turn sooner or later. Quite sobering to think that such an event can make a person feel disconnected to such a beautiful garden as yours. This has to be a glitch which will soon pass Daisy, surely?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 10:14:06 AM »
Dear Daisy, What a beastly summer you have had. I do hope you take some comfort from knowing what an inspiration your garden has been to us. And as for jungles: if I had a garden which looked remotely like as well-kept as your present "jungle" I'd feel hugely proud of myself!

Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
Hi Daisy - I am sure you will soon feel as spiritually attached to your garden as ever. I feel a bit the same as you have described when moving from our house in town to the one on the country and vice versa, each having been neglected somewhat in the intervening months.I can also well remember how I felt when trying to get back on my feet after breaking both ankles and being unable to do any gardening for months. I think the sheer size of the work ahead can seem daunting especially when one is still not up to full strength. However I love " wild" gardens and still think yours looks lovely! David's tip to remove seed heads to prevent unwanted plants next year is a good one and in the meantime just enjoy the fact you can once again be in the open air, in your garden and amongst the plants you love so much - they are obviously happy as they have demonstrated even if in excess!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 03:58:09 PM »
Such colour, so many flowers.
I join with the others in encouraging you with the huge task ahead.
On the otherhand I am quite envious of all the flowers you have around you.

I am glad you enjoyed looking at the Forum during the summer [ I feel quite disappointed the days there isn't a post]

Sometimes I get overwhelmed at the list of tasks I have before me [ all self imposed] then remember to say
One step at a time

Enjoy yourself in your garden now you are feeling a bit more active and the weather is cooling down
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Pauline

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 07:10:54 AM »
I just knew it. What you call "messy", Daisy, I call ravishing! So beautiful. If I were you I'd think more in terms of managing it a bit - as Umbrian suggests - rather than sorting it out.  :)

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

Daisy

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »
Thank-you all for your kind and encouraging remarks. There seems to be a lot of wisdom out there.
I will take it slowly. My body seems to be telling me that anyway.

I was able to take a few photos, soon after breaking my leg.
Because I couldn't manage the step into the bedroom, I lay on the bed-settee just inside the front door. I had a good view of my pots in the front of the house. These are the photos I took.

IMG_4010 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4009 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

IMG_4007 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Please forgive me if I have already posted these photos. I don't think I have, but my memory is rubbish.