Dracunculus vulgaris

• 15 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Dracunculus vulgaris
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »
I rather believe that pride comes before a fall and it was proved for me this spring. There I was boasting that I had all sorts of lovely wild flowers which have come of their own accord to my garden, including six orchids and alliums of all shapes and sizes. Then I returned from Croatia to smell a dead cat it the garden. I searched round and round for the body and but found a different source - two huge Dracunculus vulgaris growing in the shade of the almond trees. I'd seen the remains of one before but hadn't realised that it was the terrible smelly and that it was going to spread. Now what do I do? Do I sigh and accept them like Carole (Umbrian) does her porcupines?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:44:59 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Trevor Australis

Re: Dracunculus vulgaris
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »
If the smell is too much to bear cut off the flowers before they open or just as they do. Then the smell doesn't develop but, of course, you miss the spectacular purple-red flowers. The tubers do produce a few offsets each year so the plant gradually grows into a clump but they are not hard to deal with if you get too many. The plants have no natural enemies here. What about where you are - apart from boars and badgers that is.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:07:46 AM »
I had some Cretan seed from John Fielding (which may have included a white form). I planted out the few young tubers in the "managed wilderness" part of our Greek house several years ago. Usually, we are out there each year at about the time they are sprouting. Every year so far - and here's an answer, Trevor! - the little plants have been eaten by tortoises, which seem to seek them out particularly. But this year when we left there was one plant still standing. Whether that will encourage it to grow enough to flower next year remains to be seen....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »
Plants are somehow easier to dispose of than animals despite the fact they are both "living" things. We had an injured porcupine right outside the back door to our house the other year when it was snowy and the poor thing was desperate for food but although they cause so much damage I could not bring myself to finish it off. Instead Colin took the opportunity to get some close up photographs as they are usually quite elusive creatures!
I would be inclined to act now and get rid of it before it spreads. The magnificence of the flower cannot compensate for that terrible stench. Better to try to admire it in somebody else's garden or in the wild  as we did in Turkey. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:58:29 PM »
I have to say that I really like them but I like aroids generally. They are plants that are possibly prefered by men far more than women which may be sexist but that has been my observation over the years, and perhaps the previous comments help support this! They are so spectacular and the smell is quite fleeting just make sure it's not by the kitchen door. Seedlings I gave to friends near Rome have done spectacularly well but equaly they are thriving in some gardens in the UK. Last week whilst staying with a friend in Malvern for the RHS Malvern show she showed me the seedlings I had given her a few years earlier and they too were looking splendid but perhaps a month off flowering.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
Maybe women are more sensitive to the smell of this flower?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Jill S

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
Funny you should say that, Jorun. To me the smell is highly pungent, very pervasive (not to say invasive), and long lasting. I don't think I could live with it, despite the visual attraction of the flower - from a very great distance.
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »
I see the leaves springing up all over the place, so with the ladies' permission I'll out them!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

JTh

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »
Sounds like a wise desicion.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Jill S

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
ASAP, although you might need a gas-mask to get close enough to do it
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

John

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
It is a protected species you know!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 09:17:04 PM »
The only country I found that has this one listed as a protected species is Bulgaria.

I have a small Helicodiceros muscivorus — dead horse arum lily -which I got from you, John, I hope I will be able to bring it to Greece some time in the future, but I plan to plant it at least 50 m from our house.

John

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I was trying to be a bit sneaky with that cooment.
John

JTh

• Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »
I guessed that, but found that it is actually protected in Bulgaria.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:51 AM »
Would you like me to send them to you, John?