What is this 55? Now solved!

• 9 Replies

John J

What is this 55? Now solved!
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »
Now we have the grey cells up and running let's keep them awake.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:14:41 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: What is this 55?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:22:42 PM »
Begonia leaf?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:36:48 PM »
Sorry, no, Fleur, nothing so ordinary.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
Saxifraga stolonifera?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:43:22 AM »
Sorry, Jorun, but no. I'm probably cheating a bit as it isn't really a mediterranean plant being from the tropical east apparently.

Miriam

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
Gynura aurantiaca?
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

John J

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:14 AM »
Good try, Miriam, botanically a miss but geographically pretty much a bulls-eye.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »
You make it difficult for those of us who have not lived in Asia.

Next try: Hemigraphis alternata
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
Despite that fact, Jorun, you are doing alright, well done. Someone here in Cyprus seems to think it is a good idea to start bringing in container loads of plants from Thailand. Ones like these are popping up all over the place. I tend to have a go with them just to see how long they will last or how well they will fare under water-wise mediterranean conditions so that I can speak from experience when people ask me about them.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
It was a very wild guess, however, I can’t say I know the plant.

I agree, it’s amazing what they try to sell us, it is just as crazy here. Yesterday I saw Calocephalus brownii (or rather Leucophyta brownii) for sale in a small supermarket nearby, probably not ideal for our Norwegian climate either.