Mandragora

• 4 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Mandragora
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
A friend of mine is giving a lecture on the legends and myths associated with the mandrake next weekend and has asked me find out if anyone on the Forum can tell him stories about the plant  in other countries. Also anything about its medical use.
Many thanks
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alice

Re: Mandragora
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »
A true story of a tourist on Paros who came across a fruiting Mandragora on his walks in the hills. He was tempted to taste the berries and, finding that he liked them, consumed three. About half an hour later he went into a catatonic state. His kept his eyes open but he wouldn't react at all to any external stimuli. He would hold any pose he was put in, e.g. if put in a sitting position he would just sit there like a doll. He was taken to hospital where all the medics were baffled and thought he had suffered a stroke. This stupor lasted for about 24 hours after which time he recovered completely.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
Terrific/horrific story, Alice!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
Thanks, Alice. He can certainly use that story!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alice

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
The chap couldn't remember any of this by was quite amused when told about it later. I think he has learned his lesson not to eat tempting strange-looking plants in future!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.