What is this 53? NOW SOLVED

• 6 Replies

John J

What is this 53? NOW SOLVED
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »
Any takers?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:14:27 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Jill S

Re: What is this 53?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
Clerodendrum ??
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alice

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:24:51 PM »
That was my first thought too. Or Atropa belladona?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:57 AM »
You guys are getting too good at this. It is a Clerodendrum x speciosum.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alice

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:05:35 AM »
You do grow some interesting plants, John.
I am only familiar with the Clerodendrum with the blue fruit, I think it might be C. trichotomum.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Jill S

Re: What is this 53? NOW SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
Yet another one for the 'wish list' !
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

John J

Re: What is this 53? NOW SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »
We also grow Clerodendrum bungei and C chinense, Alice, but not C trichotomum.