What is this 47? - now solved!

• 21 Replies

John J

Re: What is this 47?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 12:14:59 PM »
Alice, I'm probably guilty of falling into the age-old trap, a question is easy when you know the answer. I also have to admit to possibly not being a conventional gardener, one with a neat, orderly garden where plants are matched for colour, texture, etc. I like to experiment, to try out unusual plants, ones that are perhaps not supposed to thrive under the conditions that are prevalent in my area. I fail, a lot, but when something succeeds it can be very satisfying.
To prove that I do have this plant.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »
If this was easy, then I wonder what a diificult one be.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 05:04:03 PM »
In my defence, your honour, I did not originally mention the word easy. Didn't it prove to be a 'nice, gentle mental exercise'?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
A fantastic trek you've taken us on, John, with wonderful clues - and brilliant of Alice to home in on it so accurately.
Very many thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

Re: What is this 47? - now solved!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »
What a strange plant! The vegetative part looks familiar but the flower spike looks most unusual, almost as if you have glued it on, John!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »
Not guilty, your honour, that's exactly as nature designed it.

John J

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 02:02:01 PM »
Incidently, I also have Pachypodium lamerei which has scented white flowers that have the more typical shape of the Apocynaceae family. Unfortunately, as yet they are too small to flower. A neighbour has 2 of them that are at least 2 metres tall and flower profusely every year. She was threatening to dig them out and throw them away until I told her that I had seen smaller ones on sale for over 150 euros each. Anyway, a couple of years ago I took a seed pod from one of them and sowed the seed, I ended up with around 50 tiny seedlings. I kept a few and handed out the others to anyone prepared to take them off my hands! I'll try to remember to get a photo the next time I see hers in flower.