A Trifolium shrub? IDd by Oron as Medicago arborea

• 4 Replies

GRJoe

• Email
A Trifolium shrub? IDd by Oron as Medicago arborea
« on: May 19, 2012, 10:01:10 AM »
Dear All, for some reason this plant doesn't want to reveal its name or origin to me. You probably know it, it thrives on rocky road-sides, e.g. on the Athens-Sounio drive. At first, I thought it is a Coronilla species, but no perfume. Attractive grey-green foliage. Height: ~1.5 m. Presence of stipules.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:28:27 PM by Alisdair »
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: A Trifolium shrub?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »
Medicago arborea
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John J

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
Joe, this is an excellent example of a summer dormant shrub. Mine looks completely dead during the heat of the summer, nothing but a collection of dry-looking sticks. So much so that the first year my wife wanted to pull it out as a failure. I told her to wait and as soon as the winter rains came it exploded into growth, first the fresh green foliage followed by a mass of yellow flowers. It's done that every year since and it takes being cut back to keep it in shape without any problems.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

GRJoe

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »
Thank you Oron! This makes it sound even more interesting (nitrogen fixing etc).
Dear John J, it sounds like the perfect dry climate plant no need for watering in summer. I am confident it has a deep taproot too. Ok, esthetically then it's not the best summer attraction  :-\
Joe Breidi
Occasional gardening and garden design wherever possible! Currently living in Puglia, Italy. Special interest in dry climate gardening, and in preserving wildlife.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: A Trifolium shrub? IDd by Oron as Medicago arborea
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »
Easily grown from seed, too (being sentimental, we collected seed from one that was growing in the Roman Agora in Athens - reached flowering size very quickly after planting out in the semi-wild part of our garden in the Peloponnese, watered monthly first summer then never).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society