Evergreen Tree in southern Crete IDd by Jorun as Schefflera actinophylla

• 11 Replies

Daisy

I found this tree in a garden in Irapetra, on the south coast of Crete.
I am absolutely useless at estimating heights, but it reached the second floor of the house behind.
It did not have many flowers, but I managed to photograph the few it had.
Does anyone know this tree?
Daisy :)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:17:50 AM by Alisdair »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

JTh

• Email
Re: Evergreen Tree in southern Crete
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:11 PM »
Daisy, I believe it is called Brassaia actinophylla, or Queensland Umbrella tree/Octopus tree. A book I have says it can be up to 13 m in height, needs warmth and plenty of water.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
Properly called Schefflera actinophylla now, I think. In Europe it's sometimes sold as a foliage houseplant, so perhaps the Irapetra plant started life as a pot plant.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
I'm sure you are right, Alisdair, my book says that 'Brassaia is still often listed incorrectly as a Schefflera, which is a related genus', but the book is from 1986, so as usual yesterday's truths are not necessarily corrcet today, specially when talking about plants.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:55:16 PM »
Jorun, I'm sure you don't want to delve through the recent taxonomic stuff that has resulted in the Kew/MoBot Plant List using Schefflera instead of Brassaia! But if you or anyone else wants the references, the publications accepting Schefflera can be found here and ones ruling against Brassaia can be found here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:14 PM »
I believe you!

ezeiza

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 03:17:36 AM »
A fantastically elegant three for the background of a "tropical look".

pamela

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
It certainly is a Schefflera as I have one which is growing very well.  It likes to be in a shady area best.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

ezeiza

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 12:42:33 AM »
Pamella, in all I have seen the canopy was in full sun, some 20 m. tall or more. perhaps with time they get accostumed to direct sun.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »
I know one on the outskirts of Paphos, where it is growing in tight spot in a south-facing pavement, and it seems fine year after year - leaves, flowers, fruit, vigour. I can imagine suggestions of it preferring shade, however, subliminal thoughts of Fatsia probably influencing that.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

pamela

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 09:08:12 AM »
Maybe I needed to say 'shelter' rather than shade.  Here, it appears to me, they are more stunted and slower growing  if not in a sheltered position....maybe it is the sea wind that is problematical for it. I have a wonderful specimen growing well under a large Pinus halepensis, mostly shaded and definitely sheltered.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Evergreen Tree in southern Crete IDd by Jorun as Schefflera actinophylla
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26:44 AM »
In the subtropics, where this tree from tropical Queensland is more commonly planted, people advise shelter and semi-shade, as well as the moisture that Jorun mentions. Most of us aren't so lucky in our conditions as Pamela who can grow it! And it won't take frost.
Alisdair Aird