Salvia IDd as Salvia somalensis

• 12 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Salvia IDd as Salvia somalensis
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:13:04 AM »
Can anyone identify this plant which I am guessing is a salvia and which is blooming in my garden in Attica? It is at least 2 metres tall, has pale green, sticky, aromatic leaves which turn yellow down the stem. The long spikes of pale blue flowers grow from the tip of the stem in bunches of up to five but with one always being longer than the others.

Can anyone identify this plant which I am guessing is a salvia and which is blooming in my garden in Attica? It is at least 2 metres tall, has pale green, sticky, aromatic leaves which turn yellow down the stem.
[attachthumb=1]
The long spikes of pale blue flowers grow from the tip of a stem - initially alone, as here
[attachthumb=3]
 but eventually in bunches of up to five but with the first spike always being longer than the others
[attachthumb=2]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:38:03 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Salvia
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »
Salvia somalensis has flowering side-spikes off the main stem-top spike; is that what you mean happens, in your last picture?  Because that's unusual enough in salvias to be a distinguishing feature. And in other respects your plant could match S. somalensis - but obviously not if it's growing wild in your Greek garden, as it's a Somali endemic.  8)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »
I think you've made the correct identification. I've checked my plant with photos on the internet e.g. http://www.robinssalvias.com/blue/htms/somalensis2.htm (this photo is from the UK) and it looks identical. What I wonder is how it came to be on offer at Chrysanthi's nursery (where I bought it). I have some potted-on cuttings if you'd like one as a reward.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:55:56 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Bracey

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
Richard concurs as well.  Our plant is blooming nicely right now.

pamela

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
 Hello Fleur
I have Salvia somalensis and it looks identical.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07:11 PM »
Can you please both tell me, now that flowering is over are you cutting the plants back and do they thus become less leggy?

pamela

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »
Hello Fleur,
I haven't cut it back yet....its too early for me and I want to take some cuttings in late Aug. Its not looking particularly leggy in fact its looking great, and all the side shoots are coming. I will wait and see.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Bracey

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
It's getting quite huge and we've not cut it back yet but probably will do so in the fall.  Cheers, Bracey

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
Can anyone tell me what this Salvia is. It grows wild on Skopelos particularly on barren, rocky slopes on the Eastern side of the island.  I have searched but could not find anything quite like it.
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

John

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 09:38:08 AM »
I can't see much detail but it must be Salvia pomifera.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
I hadn't realised a small jpeg would be so small.  Unfortunately I don't have any close up photographs with me.  I will check S. pomifera and if I'm still in doubt I'll get a better picture.  Thank you.
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

JTh

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
You don't necessarily need a close-up here, I'm sure your original photo is much bigger. When you save it for the forum, the image size may be up to 760 x 560 pixels, yours was only 320 x 240 pixels. You have also compressed it too much, it is only 34.9 kb, closer to 250 kb would have been more useful.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

ezeiza

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
What an interesting shape for a border among other plants. Does it flower for long?