Grey trailing plant ID'd by Alice as Limoniastrum monopetalum

• 6 Replies

KatG

• Email
Grey trailing plant ID'd by Alice as Limoniastrum monopetalum
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:09:36 AM »
I spotted this on a recent visit to Parc Guell in Barcelona. Apart from Gaudi's architecture the park is interesting for its mediterranean planting. I spotted this grey leaved plant trailing down beside a fountain - any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:43:15 AM by Alisdair »
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Alice

Re: Grey trailing plant
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 04:41:59 PM »
Looks like Limoniastrum monopetalum.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

violapinnata

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
I had the same idea: Limoniastrum monopetalum (L.) Boiss.
I love and viisite gardens on the french and italian coast and i love photography.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
Katerina,
I saw this a few years ago in the Ancient Agora in Athens .
That I am so sure of the name means that either the plant was labelled or there was a notice board.
I rather think there was a notice board giving all the names of the trees and flowers which had been   
planted after the excavations were finished
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

KatG

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
Thanks. I don't recall seeing it for sale anywhere. I think it would be a good addition to my garden.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

Alice

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »
Katerina, we have two in our garden on Paros, bought locally, so you should be able to find it for sale somewhere. In our area it is covered in a mass of pink flowers in early June and the dried flower spikes remain on the plant for a long time. Perhaps it is not the most beautiful of plants but I would highly recommend it for a dry windswept site. It is very tough and covers the ground well.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

KatG

• Email
Re: Grey trailing plant ID'd by Alice as Limoniastrum monopetalum
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
I'll keep an eye out for it Alice. The dead flowers were still on the plant I saw in Barcelona a week ago.