Shrub with odour ID'd by Pauline as a Tagetes (perhaps Tagetes lemmonii)

• 3 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
I passed by a shrub that I took some cuttings from last year. Of course, I forgot to take my camera with me so these photos are of some shrivelled flowers. Sorry. The cuttings I took last year sprouted roots within days in water. Unfortunately once planted they lasted a couple of weeks. So this time I will get them to strike in gravel and soil mix.

The shrub is about a metre tall. The stems are reddish. The leaves are small, the one in the photo 1.5 inches from tip to tip. They have a very strong "odour". Can't think of a better word. Starts off well (minty), gets better (fruity), but then tom cat seems to creep in unexpectedly.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:42:43 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Pauline

Re: Help with ID please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 08:07:30 AM »
A shrubby Tagetes?

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »
Thanks Pauline. Looks like you are right. Looked up "shrubby Tagetes" on the internet and Tagetes lemmonii came up. Looks like it could be the plant. Lots of references to pungent leaves. Most seem to find it a pleasant smell but others not. Some report strong allergic skin reactions too. Are there any other shrubby Tagetes I wonder? I'll keep on looking.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 08:43:11 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Pauline

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »
You're welcome. I'm fond of Tagetes - I used to grow rather a lot of it on my balcony.  :)

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.