Any help identifying this? ID'd by Jamus as Nicotiana glauca

• 11 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Any help identifying this? ID'd by Jamus as Nicotiana glauca
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
It is a plant I have seen both in the north and south of Italy, always growing out of walls. Always very long stems but little leaf cover. Does anybody grow it? Is it better, fuller, when it has soil to grow in or is it always so scrawny? I took seeds just in case. Apologies if I am under-rating anybody's favourite plant. Perhaps I shouldn't be so unkind to it. After all, if it can survive full summer heat in Lecce without any water and only a dry stone wall for its roots, it has to be tough.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:23:28 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jamus

Re: Any help identifying this?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »

Nicotiana glauca. Does well here in Adelaide too.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »
Thanks Jamus. It looks much healthier in the photos I have just looked at on the internet than each time I've seen it hanging for dear life in a wall. Wondering whether to try it in a pot on my balcony but has the potential to be invasive. It certainly produces masses of seed. Uhhm??? I'll think about it.

Thanks again :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jamus

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »

Very invasive weed here in South Australia but it's confined to rocky dry places mostly and doesn't seem to spread into areas with good soil and more rainfall. I like it.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

John J

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 05:00:37 AM »
It is naturalised here in Cyprus too, David, growing by roadsides and in waste ground all over the island. It can grow quite tall, 5/6 metres or more in the right conditions. It has acquired the local name of Yiatros (Doctor) due to the haemostatic and antiseptic properties of its leaves.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 06:21:14 AM »
Could you smoke it? Is it related to tobacco?

John J

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:26 AM »
It is a member of the Solanaceae family. I hope you aren't in the habit of smoking strange plants, Joanna! :o
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:17:44 AM »
Joanna your question brought a smile and a fleeting picture of two primary school children attempting to smoke the dried stems of hogweed to imitate the adult males in the family. We never tried the 'yiatrohorto' as we grew up knowing its medicinal use. By the way I have never smoked cigarettes or any other weed since then.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »
Could you smoke it? Is it related to tobacco?

I would'nt give it a try,

Nicotiana glauca produces a highly toxic substance calld Anabasine which is far more toxic than Nicotine
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 09:40:19 AM »
Against my better judgement I think I am going to give it a try - growing it, that is. If I let it grow upwards amongst other things it shouldn't look too spindly and it might give me a little colour in summer. It would be hard for it to become invasive from my balcony as there is only a terrace below. No direct contact with streets or gardens.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 10:08:51 AM »

It would be hard for it to become invasive from my balcony as there is only a terrace below. No direct contact with streets or gardens.

David,
Maybe this would make you change your mind... ;)
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Any help identifying this? ID'd by Jamus as Nicotiana glauca
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »
Maybe you are right Oron. This is how I am used to seeing it in Italy and I wouldn't want the lady below to have this plant springing up between the paving on her terrace albeit that there is no soil below her only a communal car park. I think I'll stick to Kennedias instead!