An Erythrina from Naples ID'd by Oron as Erythrina humeana

• 7 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
An Erythrina from Naples ID'd by Oron as Erythrina humeana
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
The tree was in a park in Naples and I collected some seeds. Just want to check that there are no other species I could be confusing it with before I send seeds to Chantal.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:03:47 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jamus

Re: Is this Erythrina crista-galli?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »

Hi David, yes you are right. I have one and enjoy it every flowering season, but it's too brief and for most of the year you'd think the thing was dead. Still worth having.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation Jamus. I'm surprised to hear that yours looks dead most of the time. Naples doesn't get quite as hot as Adelaide and the winters are almost never that close to 0°C, it's true. I see the 2 or 3 trees in the park in flower every summer. The trees are evergreen to the best of my knowledge. They were in full leaf last December when I passed by just before Christmas. At least you get to enjoy them some of the time. Too big for my balcony I'm afraid but I am going to try with a similar looking Sesbania punicea which I should be able to train as a climber and keep pruned. I have no watering restrictions over the summer and I understand that Sesbania p. likes a lot of water. 9 seedlings already producing their first leaves after only a week or so since I put the seeds in soil. Fingers crossed that I can keep at least some of them over winter.

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Jamus

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:15:41 AM »

David if you like the flowers look up the Australian Kennedia genus. There are some beautiful creepers with interesting flowers which might better suit a balcony.
Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »
Hi Jamus. I managed to get one of the few seedlings I raised of Kennedia prostrata almost through to the end of summer. I may have overwatered it or have expected too much of it in the way of being able to tolerate full sun in its first year as it now looks distinctly dead :(

In the meantime I have discovered a wholesale supplier of Kennedia rubicunda a little way out of Rome. A visit to his nursery a couple of weeks ago didn't convince him to sell the plant directly to me. He gave me the name of a nursery he supplies and assured me he would be passing by there later that day and would drop a plant off so that I could pick it up from there.  My visit to the nursery a couple of days later was also fruitless as the man had not passed by, the owner of the nursery wasn't there and the assistant had no idea of what plant I was looking for and tried to offer several other totally unrelated alternatives.

Undaunted, I will make a few phone calls to try and coordinate things better in the autumn. Kennedias do look like the kind of plant for me, so thanks for the suggestion. :)

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
I grow an erythrina in a pot but I think it's a Erythrina herbacea. For the first time last winter I didn't protect it in my unheated greenhouse (we didn't have any real cold) and it punished me by not flowering, but previously it has flowered over quite a long period and indeed I bought a second one this sumer which I found in a totally out-of-the-way nursery.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this Erythrina crista-galli? Confirmed by Jamus
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
I spoke ill of my Erythrina without cause. It put up buds and burst into flower within a few days. Can anyone confirm or deny that it's a Erythrina herbacea?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Is this Erythrina crista-galli? Confirmed by Jamus
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »

Fleur, it is Erythrina humeana
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:47:39 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.