What is this 46

• 18 Replies

JTh

• Email
Re: What is this 46
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
Yes, it is lovely, those in my garden look just like John's photo, but beware, it spreads very easily.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 07:22:09 AM »
I fell in love with this plant when I saw it growing all over the place when we were in Greece the other year. Having obtained one I have been most disappointed with its performance here as after the first flush of flowers it gives up! Am persevering by relocating it and hoping for better things ???
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 11:04:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure they will come back, Carole.  When the first period with flowers is over, I tidy up a little, then they will come back later in the summer. I have a (bad) photo taken just before I left Greece in the beginning of May, the second one is from the beginning of July (2011), with the second flowering. They seem to bloom all at once, take a rest, and then come back in unison a couple of  months later
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »
Will persevere Jorun because, as you say, they put on a wonderful show with the delicate flowers all coming out together. After that I have just left them to their own devices thinking that like many things they do just have this one flush of flowers. This year I shall trim them back a bit and await results. I dohave other Oenothera, the names of which escape me at the moment, that behave very differently with the flowers coming over a long period and find them very worthwhile plants for the conditions here.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.