Iris

• 166 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2013, 10:35:04 PM »
When you say'prune' an Iris unguicularis can you tell me how do you do it, Joanna? I had to take an axe to one yesterday to separate it.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Joanna Savage

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »
Hello Fleur. Yes I.unguicularis is extremely difficult to divide and when visitors admire the flowers and ask for a piece I feel weak and shudder at the prospective effort needed. I use the term 'pruning' very loosely. Mostly I have cut a great swathe of lower leaves very nearly back to what might be called a compressed stem, although I am sure there is a much more subtle botanical term. The aim is to be rid of as much leaf as possible but not to touch the buds in the leaf axils. It seems that the new flowers are coming from the position of those buds, so there must be flower buds as well as vegetative buds in that position, but I haven't yet noted whether there is any new leaf  forming.

'Hacking' is probably a more accurate description than pruning.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
Fleur,

I cut back I. unguicularis every third year to about 10cm. Best time to do it is in autumn so that you'll enjoy the flowers when they start in december.
It is also the best time to devide big clumps and plant new divisions in the garden.
In nature, all 3 subspecies, have very narrow leaves that dry compleetly in summer therefor floweres appear while new leaves are still young.
The robust form grown in cultivation is a selection originated to north Africa [Algeria], it has much wider and longer leaves and is practicaly an ever green, there for needs to be pruned.

Personally this species is in my top 10 list for the Mediterranean garden as it is extreemly togh plant, can grow in the hardest conditions such as under Pine trees, deep shade etc and can live for ever,,,
Also it is one of the few plants to bloom during all winter.
There are few named cultivars including a white form but i find it less atractive and it doesnt live very long.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 08:45:46 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
Thanks both. I now have material for planting all round the garden, and to give to my daughter who has pines, and in future I'll obey you're 'pruning' advice and not let them get so big.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

plantsman50

• Email
Iris reticulata 'Harmony'
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
Here is an easy Iris that I grow as annuals in the greenhouse and conservatory for some welcome colour early in the year. Plant them out into the garden once they have finished flowering inside.

Martin
Martin Froggatt - Ripley, Derbyshire UK. Member of RHS and Alpine Garden Society. Grows an eclectic selection of plants in a very well drained south facing loam. Quality Manager by profession and enjoys photography and visiting gardens.

JTh

• Email
Re: Iris reticulata 'Harmony'
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
Wow, impressive image!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »
Hi Martin,
'Harmony' is the most commonly seen Retic in this part of Australia - but no retic is really "common" here! I grow it in the rock garden and raised beds where it multiplies well - but it doesn't like it if we have a wet summer - no worries this year!
'George' and a few others also do well but 'Harmony' is the best,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Trevor Australis

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »
Hi all, like Fermi I grow a few retic Iris outside under widely spaced deciduous trees and shrubs. 'Alida' and 'Katherine Hodgkin' are among them along with some of the blue kinds. I feed them as soon as the first leaves and flower buds appear and then several times after the flowers have faded. I use water soluble tomato food so there's not too much nitrogen. I plant the bulbs about 10cm deep in an effort to keep the bulbs at a depth where the soil is at a constant but cool temp year round. tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »
Hello Fleur, referring to your posting of 20 Feb 2013, in which you wrote about dividing Iris unguicularis with an axe, I have been wondering whether you have had good results with the resultant plants.

Also using an axe I separated about 30 pieces of tuber for planting in Feb 2013. The results have been rather disappointing, as only about 8 have grown. The few I put in the ground immediately had about half success rate, those in pots were terrible and the last few appear to be on the way out. I note that Oron wrote of dividing in autumn so perhaps I left it too late. Still, there does seem to be something about being planted in pots which they didn't like.
So I'll have to sharpen the axe in time for autumn and another try.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 04:06:52 AM »
Here's a pic I took this morning of an Iris aucheri I grew from seed from NARGS Seedex 2005 ex Turkey - collected Leylek Station;
cheers
fermi

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 06:55:43 AM »
Beautifully grown, Fermi - and judging by the look of that tempting stretch of grit/gravel behind it, it's the advance guard of what's going to be a terrific show as your Antipodean spring advances!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »
Beautifully grown, Fermi - and judging by the look of that tempting stretch of grit/gravel behind it, it's the advance guard of what's going to be a terrific show as your Antipodean spring advances!
Sadly, no, Alisdair!
This is an experimental sand bed and of the six Juno iris planted here the Iris aucheri is the only success. It's 20 to 30 cm of pure sand over the "native soil" which is heavy clay. I'm planning to re-vamp the bed to try Oncocyclus Iris by digging in some soil about 15cm under the sand. A neighbouring bed is a mix of sand/grit/clay and Onco iris are doing reasonably well in it.
cheers
fermi

Trevor Australis

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »
Yes Hermodactylus tuberosus does have yellow forms. tn

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2013, 07:54:31 AM »
Some of the reticulata iris this year in our garden,
Clairette x 2 views
Edward
Iris histrio ssp aintabensis MT4501
Pauline
George
Harmony
Blue Ice
Dance On
cheers
fermi

Trevor Australis

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 12:20:39 AM »
A friend refers to Tony Hall's bulb fertilizer mix but never tells me what it's make-up is. Does anybody know the 'secret' stuff?