Leaf ID'd by John J as Broussonetia papyrifera, paper mulberry

• 5 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Leaf ID'd by John J as Broussonetia papyrifera, paper mulberry
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
Thought these leaves on a tree had been eaten ....but no. Leaves and leaf stems furry and underside much paler green
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 09:10:25 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Pauline

Re: ID please
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:31 PM »
The shape reminds me of Mulberry but I'm fairly sure I'll be wrong. So many plants, so little time! :)

An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.

John J

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »
Carole, try the Paper Mulberry, Broussonetia papyrifera.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:23:23 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:29:32 AM »
Thanks John, it looked rather like a Fig to me but I realised it wasn't after some research. I loved the unusual leaves but read it is invasive and so perhaps not for me :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »
Pauline, I meant to say don't be so hard on yourself that was a good spot, the Broussonetia is in the Mulberry family (Moraceae). Also juvenile mulberry leaves can sometimes take on a similar shape to that shown.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Pauline

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, John. :) Though there really are so very many plants I find it quite overwhelming - I train myself to recognise one and half-a-dozen lookalikes immediately pop up. It won't stop me trying though.  ;)
An amateur and a complete novice in mediterranean stuff, attempting to establish a garden in Andros, Cyclades, Greece. We're about 45m above sea level. Steep learning curve? Vertical straight line.