Recommendations please

• 12 Replies

Jamus

Recommendations please
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:42:12 AM »

I have a position in my back garden in which I'd like to plant a shrub. Criteria the successful applicant must meet are;

Dappled light under a large Grevillea robusta
Clay soil, neutral pH
Must be able to stand up to gusty winds when the weather comes in from the South
Does need to be particularly drough hardy as I will irrigate in the summer
Must be attractive
Must not be too common or ordinary.

No suggestion too wild or unlikely. All applicants considered on their merits.

Long hot summers, mild wet winters. Rainfall approx. 600mm pa.
Summer maximums over 40 degrees, winter minimums occasionally below freezing.
Gardening on neutral clay loam and sandy loam.

pamela

Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »
Hello Jamus

I have Nerium oleander nearby and sort of under my Grevillea robusta. Isn't it such a beautiful tree? Especially when its flowering.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Daisy

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
Jamus. What about an Abutilon x hybridum?
I have two. A pink one and the orange one pictured below.

april 2013 059 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

They are both in partial shade to full shade and thy are both in the line of the southerly wind.
They both flower for ages and look good all year round.

Or you could try a Tibouchina urvilleana, or Choisya ternata or Aztec Pearl, or Brunfelsia pauciflora, or an Abelia or, if you can find one, what about an Iochroma australis?
Then of course, there are lots of shrub roses that would do beautifully in dappled shade, especially the easy going tea and tea noisette roses.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Jamus

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
Thanks for the great recommendations, Daisy, lot's to choose from there. I've been thinking Abutilon, but I didn't want to colour peoples thinking with my ideas so I didn't mention it. I'm also thinking of a Brugmansia, but the wind can be quite damaging to their soft leaves and flowers.

Tibouchina, too cold here I think...?
Choisya ternata ... unknown to me, so not sure.
Brunfelsia pauciflora - possible...
Iochroma australis - love it!! this is new to me and I like the look of it. I'll be reading more about this plant.
Abelia - boring

Plenty to consider here... please keep the recommendations coming.

Miriam

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:03:21 PM »
Other options: Mackaya bella, Justicia spicigera and Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii 'superbloomer'.
The first two I grow in my garden.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:21:15 PM by Miriam »
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Jamus

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 02:59:13 AM »

I love Malvaviscus arboreus and can get this free as there are some plants near by I know of.
Love Lochroma australis and I must have one, but maybe not for this spot. Looking for a source of this now.

I came across something that I've seen before but had forgotten which I think would fill the position nicely, Leycesteria formosa.

I'm now almost convinced that this is the right plant for the spot.

pamela

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20:36 AM »
Jamus

You have a wonderful selection of shrubs available to you. I am envious...no such luck here.   I have always wanted Iochroma (either australis or cyaneum) but I have cetainly never found it here or discovered the seeds to buy.

Have you thought about Odontonema strictum also from South America. I have had great success with it.  Mine is planted under a Phoenix canariensis which in turn is under a Pinus halepensis.  It does need be on a watering system in the summer, here at least.  It is about 7 years old ...I probably could take it off the water but I'm not going to risk it.
It gives a wonderful show around September (here) and it is easily pruned.  Cuttings strike very well.  Highly recommended.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Jamus

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »

Oh no, I like Odontonema strictum too... too many choices now. I KNEW we should have bought the neighbours house when it came up for sale, demolished the house and doubled our garden space. ;)

John J

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
Jamus, my only experience with Leycesteria formosa is from the UK where it needed protection from heavy frosts. I never considered it as a candidate for a mediterranean garden. In your opinion do you think it would take the high heat levels and generally dry conditions of a typical med climate area?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
I agree John this definitely a temperate climate plant. Has anyone on this forum seen it growing in a hot dry climate.? 
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Jamus

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »

Hmmm.. I've seen it growing here at Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens, but that's the highest point around here and summer temperatures are 5 degrees cooler than here, approximately. They also run sprinklers periodically throughout the day in summer... so perhaps you're right... I'll look into it some more before I make a decision.

David Feix

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:12:02 AM »
Leycesteria tends to remain evergreen here in San Francisco, and is quite a bit cold and drought hardier than any of the Iochroma cyanea cultivars, which drops all leaves with any frost, although the similar appearing Acnistis australis is reliably cold hardy, but deciduous in winter. The Leycesteria would probably do well below the Grevillea robusta. Perhaps another Grevillea such as Robyn Gordon or Superb would also work for you, or Choisya ternata 'Sundance'. Melianthus major or Hedychium gardnerianum/greenei would also do well with that degree of light. Some of our California natives such as Calycanthus occidentalis, Heteromeles arbutifolia or Arctostaphylos densiflora 'Haward McMinn' would also do, and are all much less water dependent.
David Feix Landscape Design
Berkeley, California, USA

Jamus

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 04:36:45 AM »

Thanks David, some nice suggestions there. I still haven't tackled the spot. I have a shrub... (Solanum rantonnetii I think) which I need to dig out and eradicate to free up the space. Too many garden jobs and not enough available time!