Cereus peruvianus monstrosus

• 4 Replies

Janet Ibbotson

Cereus peruvianus monstrosus
« on: February 10, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »
I saw this growing as a tree in a garden in Nafplion and would dearly like to get one but cannot find a nursery supplying it in the UK.  One nursery shows a photograph of an entirely different plant and the one in the RHS plantfinder doesn't have it on their plant list.  Does anyone know a British or possibly a Greek source?
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Cereus peruvianus monstrosus
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
Janet, is this the plant we're talking about? www.tropicopia.com/tropicopia/house-plant/detail.np/detail-81.html 
I believe an enormous cactus in a garden in Markopoulo may be the same plant. If so, I used to have one, but I didn't love it and it eventually died. In those days I was gardening under pines and the pain of cleaning pine needles from cactuses is still clear in my mind. I've a vague recollection that it came from Sparoza in the 70s so it would be nice to find it again and grow it in my almost pine-free garden. I rang up Mr Poulimenos, who has a huge cactus nursery in Kapandriti and he has Cereus peruvianus monstrosus up to one metre. He's a real expert so I'm pretty sure he has the right plant. I didn't get prices.
Tel 22950 52200
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:04:35 AM »
Fleur, Do you know if Mr Poulimenos sends cactuses and succulents by post to other EC countries? I see he has a website here.
Perhaps we ought to add him to the suppliers list.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:06:19 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Janet Ibbotson

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:52:12 PM »
Fleur, that's very helpful information thank you and yes, that's the plant.  I wish I'd photographed it, it was splendid.  I'm planning to be back in Greece in the second half of March and will follow up then.  I will keep it far away from the pines.  Alasdair, don't order all his plants before I get one!
Janet Ibbotson
MGS Member currently based in Skopelos, Greece but also gardens in Norfolk

Ina

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »
I used to have one of those in a balcony in Athens. It was huge and as I was studying there I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. It needs very little water. The one problem I had is that at some point it became to heavy and it started breaking so I had to prune it... Also I remember that the woman living right above asked me if I could give her a piece so she could plant it and as she didn't aske me for a new one I guess she was succesful. So maybe you could take a piece from someone and plant it. It is common in Greece to do so, so noone will find it strange.
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.