NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 13

• 8 Replies

John

NOW SOLVED: Guess what this is 13
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
A prickly subject.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:41:05 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

Re: Guess what this is 13
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:15:34 PM »
OK no takes on this one. This is the only time I have come across this and it has edible fruits.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 09:16:11 PM »
Ziziphus. Perhaps Z. lotus?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 09:30:17 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
I also thoght Zizyphus at first but thorns are more of Carissa edulis.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Oron - I don't think Carissa because leaves of C. are opposite (photo shows alternate), and the photo shows the zig-zag stem of Ziziphus (and the v. short petioles of Z. lotus; leaves almost sessile). Also, I suspect John would be fairly familiar with Carissa.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »
You are right Mike,

I'll go with Dovyalis caffra.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:21:26 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:35:35 PM »
Well done yes Umkokola or Kei Apple in the Flacourtiaceae or even Salicaceae!
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:19:56 AM »
Interesting.
Never heard of it.
Wiser now.
The fruit looks good (moist and not too pippy inside); is it tasty (should I add it to my wants list)?

Update: OK, I see:
"2.5-6cm in diamater... Production is frequently abundant... summertime. They are juicy, tasty and somewhat acidic. ...consumed fresh sprinkled with sugar or used to make an excellent jam, popular pickles or used in sweets."
(http://fruitandnuttrees.com/kei-apple-umkokola-dovyalis)
And I would need male and female plants.
I'm tempted, despite the thorns.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 06:29:09 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 07:49:18 AM »
I first saw this fruiting in the autumn in the garden of an MGS member in the south of France (the only time I've seen mature plants). We have a few seedlings from his plants, now growing as a thorny hedge in Greece - no sign of flowers yet, I hope just too young. Most of the plants are surviving without summer watering, at least so far.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society