Tabernaemontana divaricata

• 4 Replies

John J

Tabernaemontana divaricata
« on: August 08, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »
In the last edition of the Journal I wrote about the problem we were having with getting our T divaricata to hold its flowers. Well, over the winter my wife dug some well rotted sheep manure into the ground around it and we began to add a little of the liquid that leaches out of the bottom of our worm farm to its drinking water occasionally. The result can be seen below.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Tabernaemontana divaricata
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »
I wonder whether it's the humus helping to hold moisture, or the nitrogen?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
I don't know, Alisdair, but whatever it is something appears to be working at last.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:39:43 AM »
I have been curious about Tabernaemontana ever since reading a very glamorous description of them on the Chiltern seeds website. My question to you is, how much water do they need?
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

John J

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:07:09 AM »
Marilyn, in my, admittedly limited, experience of T divaricata I wouldn't exactly class it as drought-tolerant. My own plant is in semi-shade for most of the time and yet still seems to need water at least twice a week. Most of the other plants I have come across are grown in large containers and seem to be watered either daily or every other day.