Guess what this is 17: NEVER GUESSED BUT NOW REVEALED

• 17 Replies

John

Guess what this is 17: NEVER GUESSED BUT NOW REVEALED
« on: October 06, 2011, 04:12:27 PM »
How's about this folks?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:13:40 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Guess what this is 17
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
call me daft, but Begonia comes to mind - I know not why!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:35:24 PM »
Correct but as you got it so easily I want the species too!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »
I'll give you a clue. It was one of the founder species of the B. x tuberhybrida group.
John

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
Ha this one is easy.. B. weedis insignificantis..... ::)
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

John

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:45:26 PM »
A matter of opinion!
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:43:23 AM »
OK: B. semperflorens
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Fraid not. A hint you are actually looking at tubers. The semperflorens group isn't tuberous but you are in the right area of the world.
John

John

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
OK with this one again it is me with my subject of Begonia. So which one is it folks?
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
B. veitchii?
Mike

Chantal

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
Begonia grandis subsp. evansiana ?
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)

John

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 09:08:17 AM »
OK Mike is the nearer of the two both genetically and geographically. Chantal, yes B. grandis also has bulbils (really technically tuberlets!) but they are much bigger but also less in number.
John

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
Begonia glabra (syn. scandens)?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
Oh no Alisdair. A very different species.
John

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Thanks, John, for the smidge of encouragement!
B. boliviensis?
Mike