red seed pods IDd as Capsicum baccatum by John J

• 5 Replies

Hilary

red seed pods IDd as Capsicum baccatum by John J
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:45:43 PM »
A friend of mine gave me these and I have been trying to identify them as peppers but no luck.
They are much smaller than they look in the photo, about 2-3 cms. long
Any Ideas?
She grows the plant they came from in a pot
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:29:34 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

Re: red seed pods
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:34:42 PM »
Hilary, I think you'll find they are Capsicum baccatum 'Bishop's Cap'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 07:02:18 PM »
I have grown this as well, mine was called 'Peri Peri' or 'Bishop's Crown'. They are said to be quite mild, but mine are fairly hot, but pleasant. The plant is quite decorative,especially the fruits.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
Thanks for the identification
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
It is so distinct. It was growing at the Botanic Park in Crete last year.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John J

Re: red seed pods IDd as Capsicum baccatum by John J
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »
I've also grown these in the past. I 'acquired' the seeds from peppers that were being used as decoration on a hotel buffet. Someone once said to me that they thought of them as the 'Russian roulette' of peppers. As the strength seems to vary from pepper to pepper you never knew when you bit into them whether it would be pleasantly mild or whether it would blow your head off!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)