Anemone coronaria

• 15 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Anemone coronaria
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
The anemones are starting to show through the grass now - such lovely pastel shades.
These ones were taken last year, on 12feb, and are more advanced than the ones out now. Nonetheless, this year they seem to be earlier.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

Re: Anemone coronaria
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
The earliest I ever saw them was in October in the Peloponnese. I believe there are autumn flowering populations in Turkey as well.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
Lovely, Mike; thanks! For an unusual colour form of Anemone coronaria click here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:55:18 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

Anemone coronaria
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
I saw one or two Anemone coronaria out, along the roadside, just before Christmas.
However, we have had a few days of warm sunny weather since then and yesterday, whilst driving into town, I saw that quite a few more had come out.
This will be our fifth winter here, and this is the earliest that I have seen them.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:57:57 PM »
They are early here, too, Daisy.
As with you, I began noticing them a few days before Christmas.
Nice.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
Anemone coronaria red form is in its peak time in the W. Negev region in South Israel.
This winter is very good and you can see the results.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
Oron, you are so lucky to see such wonderful sights. I have a large tub of the red form in my garden. It looks great when its out but could never even hint at the amazing sight of whole fields full of scarlet anemones. Thanks for the terrific photo's.  tn
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »
Absolutely stunning! Thanks, Oron!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
The red form of A. coronaria, appearing later than the other colours, is one of my favourite wild flowers. I have also never seen such a profusion of them. Stunning indeed, Oron.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
Wow! - Thanks Oron
Mike

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
Thanks guys.

Daisy

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
I keep coming back to look at Oron's photos again. Wonderful.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
What a sight... Extraordinary. Which trees are those?
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
Thanks all, glad you enjoy the photos.

Marilyn the trees are Eucalyptus camaldulensis planted in that area in order to stop erosion but also to create woods in that arid area.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:36:55 PM by Alisdair »

Trevor Australis

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:35 PM »
Oron, do you know why Eucalyptus camaldulensis was chosen as the tree to plant in an arid area? Its common name is the River Red Gum because it grows right on the banks of permanent rivers and creeks, and also summer dry water courses which still have water underground year round. In many cases the trees grow in the water, or are frequently inindated for months at a time. Indeed, the flooding is necessary for regeneration by seeds. Mature trees, around 300-500 yrs old are just HUGE. Some much older trees are hollow inside with large enough cavities for families to occupy as temporary homes (with canvas tenting to cover the holes). These trees are 800 yrs old and older. Google 'Herbig Family Tree' and I think you'll find some information and photographs.  tn.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.