Orchids

• 31 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Orchids
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 07:17:29 AM »
Lovely pictures, Ori - very rare at this end of its distribution, too. (That's to say in the west of Ireland....)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Rafa

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:50 AM »
Here in Spain N. maculata is very common you can find in pinewoods, quercus woods...
Jth, what a luck! I learn the asimbiothic culture with Svante Malmgren, and its really difficoult to have success, so it seems you have in the soil the fungus that decompose the seed casing.

John

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:34 AM »
Ori, how many plants were there, you may be implying that you found just this clump?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »
A little bee orchid we found at Rhamnous on the east cost of Attica. Is my identification as Orphys tenthredinifera correct? Have you seen the book on Greek orchids by Nikos & Maria Petrou? It's in Greek but the photos are great.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
Yes it must be O. tenthredinifera.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »
Both the Ophrys and the book look interesting, Fleur. I don't know the book, but I see that it is available also in English ( it is rather pricey, though, the least expensive one I saw at this website: http://www.koeltz.com/product.aspx?pid=203155, where you can get it for 79 €).
I have another book on Ophrys: 'The bee orchids of Greece - the genus Ophrys' by Zissis Antonopoulos (from Mediterraneo Editions, there is also a Greek version of it), which has lots of very good photos as well. Your Ophrys looks very much like those  described here as O. tenthredinifera group, which consists of 5 species, O. dictynnae, leochroma, ulyssea, villosa and bombyliflora. I don't know how valid these species are, in the book 'Ophrys: The bee orchid of Europe' by H.Æ. Pedersen & N. Faurholdt, they say that 'In our opinion, however, the variation dos not support a systematic (sub)division of the species' (except that they have O. bomyliflora as a separate species).
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Rafa

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »
I love to paint orchids!, here are a couple of watercolours I did of O. tenthredinifera

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 07:36:28 PM »
Wow!!
How vividly you have the textures of their lips, Rafa!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43:30 PM »
Absolutely wonderful!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 07:38:44 AM »
Thank you, John, for the confirmation and Rafa for the lovely painting.
Jorun, Orchids of Greece is available in Greek for 60 Euros from the publisher EEPF (The Greek Society for the Protection of Nature) http://www.eepf.gr/books . No sign of an English version on the web site.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Ina

• Email
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 04:58:17 PM »
I saw this robust Himantoglossum robertianum the other day. well at leat I hope I got the name correct. It's not as beautiful as the other prchids but noone can argue that it is impressive.
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »
Thank you, Fleur, for the Greek link.
Your Himantoglossum (yes, it looks like a H. robertianum, although I have never had a chance to see it 'live'), is really impressive, Ina.

Ina

• Email
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
I found it in a really unexpected place... next to our town homehospital there is a forest and there were many of them growing!!
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

John

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »
It is a most impressive orchid and can occasionally be much more colourful. It also has a strong sweet scent which is why on occasion I have seen it in vases in various places in Greece sometimes in huge quantities. I believe it is also heavily targeted for salep in Turkey as it has some of the largest tubers.
John

John J

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »
Several years ago while my wife was still working as a Primary School teacher in the Cyprus state system one of her colleagues held a lesson on nature. She asked the children to bring in examples of wildflowers. One of them turned up with a large orchid, bulb and all saying that they had lots of them growing opposite their house. At the end of the lesson the teacher threw it into the waste bin in the staff room along with the other, by now, dead flowers. My wife rescued it and brought it home. It was what I know as a Barlia robertiana and we planted it in a wild part of our property, more in hope than expectation. The following year up it came and it has done so every year since. Now it appears to have undergone a name change, though I believe it is more accurate to say it has reverted to an old name. Am I right in thinking it was once called Himantoglossum robertianum before becoming Barlia, via a couple of other changes?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)