Orchids

• 31 Replies

JTh

• Email
Orchids
« on: October 06, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »
Threre is only one autumn flowering orchid in this region, Spiranthes spiralis (Autumn lady's tresses), which I had never seen before, but I was wondering where I might find it. It is said to be growing all over Greece, but it is rare, and it is also tiny, so it is not so easily found. Imagine my  joy  when I walked across my neighbour's lawn last week (the place is deserted now) and suddenly discovered some small, white flowers, and they were Spiranthes spiralis, around 25 of them, the largest one around 20 cm tall, most of them much smaller. They were not so easy to photograph and maybe not so impressive, but still, it was the most exciting finding this autumn for me.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Spiranthes spiralis - autumn flowering orchid
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 07:03:59 PM »
Another one, from the English cemetery in Corfu when the MGS were there for the 2004 AGM in late October. Michelle Torres Grant is the photographer.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »
And a nice one that was. For being relatively rare, they do crop up in strange places, a cemetery and my neighbours lawn!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »
And you can find them in almost any month of the year, and in all sorts of places right across from Europe to the Himalayas. Among quite a few other species in the genus, there's a pretty little Asiatic one now in cultivation, Spiranthes sinensis - rather similar but a good clear pink. Quite covetable.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Orchids
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 07:18:41 AM »
For some intriguing and stunning pictures by John of Ophrys speculum click here.
And for another charming little example, click here.
Of course, the orchids most suited to mediterranean-climate gardens are terrestrial orchids like these, from similar-climate areas, but few are easily obtainable commercially.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:23:01 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
Another picture for Jorun, taken a few days ago near Kardamyli in southern Greece. We found several Spiranthes spiralis flowering there, despite the extremely dry autumn.
Alisdair Aird

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair for showing me this. It is strange, I saw it for the first time this autumn, and not only once, near our house in Halkidiki, but twice. The second time was in Heidi Gildemeister's garden which I was fortunate to visit during my stay in Mallorca for the AGM.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:23:20 AM by Alisdair »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »
You're so lucky to have seen Heidi's fabled garden - I wish I'd had the chance myself!
Alisdair Aird

JTh

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »
I know I was extremely lucky, it was amazing, both the place and the owner.

John

Re: Orchids
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:58:47 PM »
Ophrys bombylifera is at least one ophrys no one can get wrong. Whenever I have seen this species in Italy or Greece it has never been in large quantities but scattered individuals. Taken in central Italy 3 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:15:18 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
Simon in Bulgaria has developed a house method for sowing ground orchids using cardboard and old oak bark. Fascinating and succesful when we all believe it takes a lab and laminar flow facilities. It can be found at SRGC forum. A few pounds expense involved.

John

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:22 PM »
I believe JTh said she too has had success without lab equipment. Here in our London garden Dactylorhiza often seed around especially into other pots.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
That is great: I used to grow several Dactylorhyzas from Graham Lovell, Chris' dad. They were surprisingly easy. Satyriums too.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 11:32:31 PM »
Last year I found a nice website on orchid propagation, see http://www.lidaforsgarden.com/orchids/engelsk.htm.  I had some Ophrys oestrifera (possibly  O. oestrifera ssp bicornis) seeds I had gathered the previous year in Halkidiki, but somehow I overlooked the more complicated  initial part of the propagation and last spring I put the seeds directly in the soil (a mixture of potting soil, sand and perlite);  germination was very good.  They seemed to be doing well, but I am not sure if the seedlings survived this winter, because of some serious back problems I had last autumn they were accidentally left in the unheated greenhouse this winter.  I would be very surprised if they are still alive, although this winter was exceptionally mild here in southern Norway, but it showed that they were able to germinate without special growing media and I’ll try again.

fragman

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 06:56:47 AM »
We have found Neotinea maculata in the Judean Mts, itn Israek it is very rare.
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens