Leopard Lily

• 7 Replies

John J

Leopard Lily
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:18:24 AM »
I have just discovered that I can no longer call my Leopard lilies, that are blooming nicely at the moment, Belamcanda chinensis but have to refer to them by the rather dull and dowdy Iris domestica.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Leopard Lily
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »
John, You can always go on calling your lovely plant Leopard Lily and disregard Belamcanda's unseemly demotion into being just another iris!
Leaving aside the variegated-leaf houseplant Dieffenbachia amoena (which is also sometimes labelled Leopard Lily, though it hardly deserves the name), there is actually a true lily that's the Leopard Lily, Lilium pardalinum - see picture, showing its spots. Unfortunately not a mediterranean plant: even though it comes from California, it grows up in the hills, in the less mediterranean parts. The plants in the picture are growing in fairly moist soil by our pond here in Sussex - very long lived, grown from seed collected by the late Derek Fox in I think 1976 or thereabouts.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
I guess I could call it by one of its other common names, Alisdair, Blackberry Lily. Apparently this is due to the fact that when its seed pods open the black seeds are held in a blackberry-like cluster. Something we have yet to experience but as it is beginning to form pods maybe in the not too distant future, we'll wait with baited breath as they say.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »
As mentioned earlier I have been watching one of the seed pods on this plant swell ready for it to burst open and display its alleged resemblance to a blackberry. Then I noticed this morning that some rotten little spoilsport had chewed a hole in it!

John J

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »
OK, maybe I will go along with Blackberry Lily. The opened seed pod does have a passing resemblance to that fruit.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
I've just got some Iris domestica seeds from Chantal's seed exchange stock. Does anyone have any advice on how to germinate them etc? I'm afraid they may be past their sell by date.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
Fleur, you may find this article helpful.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
Thanks Alisdair, it was very informative, but unfortunately his first comment was that the seed must be fresh.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece